It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:24 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 58 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 144

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:55 am 

Oasis is a town located deep in a story propelling desert; the towns defenses were soon overrun in a dramatic story driving conflict.
(I'm not much for stories)

A map made with the very clear intention of more intense nonstop gameplay. The playable area is very noticeably smaller i would class it as a medium sized map as there still are (small) areas you are unlikely to find any troops. This map is made for combat, the town itself is flat but the obvious problems of larger range are countered by lots of cover and many defensible points. There are five bases (One in the middle that is very hard to take), each base provides much cover and may require different tactics for seizing. It is fairly rare you find yourself running for very long.

Gameplay notes:
I highly advise setting max troops to 200 anything more feels more like running around in a cramped subway car. The map allows for different strategical tactics, something the AI will more or less ignore if the game feels too easy try increasing the AI accuracy.

Install notes:
Version 1.01
Download
Mirror 1 Mediafire
Mirror 2 Tinyupload

The only map specific files are in rwr\media\maps\map1 and rwr\media\textures you can choose to move files individually are merge the folder downloaded and override all. I would advise creating a duplicate running with rifles for the new map.

The quick fix to making a smaller map was to leave baron land in the map, as far as gameplay goes it is fine but it does affect viewing the tab-map.

Any suggestions or feedback would be great.

Last edited by Mystery on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Wow! I need to give it a test drive soon :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:45 pm 

It certainly feels action packed, and there really doesn't seem to be any issues with finding firing lines.

Distinctive location names are clearly the way to go too, there's no mistaking the center area :D

Good job!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:07 pm 

Jason9mm wrote:
It certainly feels action packed, and there really doesn't seem to be any issues with finding firing lines.

Indeed :D
but I found something odd.
When I decided to sneak in and attack the officer camp alone I managed to kill them all, I checked the surroundings 2 or 3 times but only after 5 minutes of spawn killing enemys I finally conquered the base ._.
Still
I like this new map, nicely done :D

Look behind you. What I'm not there? I see... then look forward. Still not there? ...On the sides? Up and down? ...Where the heck am I? ... Oh wait! Yeah! I'm the one that's trying to find me ._. That's rather silly isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:18 pm 

I had to tweak the base zones a little bit to avoid the two bases names clipping in the game map, that might make the base zone a little bit unexpected.
The center base was a massive meat grinder before I bothered adding any cover, even still it is a bit of a slaughter house :)

From what i have seen of the map the flat map promised so new game play but took a little bit away from the game, in future i think i will perhaps not have random noise height maps but rather more planned levels of height 2.5D-ish style.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:20 pm 

I just loaded up a match on Oasis with a 1000 AI's.

Three words describe it very very accurately:

BEST MATCH EVER.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:53 am 

erm, its not working with 0.351, did i do something wrong or its just not compatible yet?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:52 pm 

Im getting an error aswell. Need to tinker around more and see if I just fucked something up.

EDIT. Yup, definetly your map thats making the errors.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:25 am 

Well at least i won't have to do this every release but i found the bug that caused the map crash.
Updated the original links in the first post with the working version.
Also with what i assume to be the new base system the medium map won't work with anymore then 200 (It will seems all bases are always under attack with more)

Boring technical details below

I'm not sure on the exact details of the error but from what i have been able to pick up is an error in rwr's svg reading.

Firstly here is one of the "broken" buildings i found that was causing the crashes
Code:
 <rect
       style="fill:#ff0000;fill-opacity:1;stroke:none;display:inline;enable-background:new"
       id="buildingrect13749-54-4"
       width="13.131984"
       height="18.182747"
       x="-827.28021"
       y="-286.29517"
       transform="scale(-1,-1)"
       inkscape:label="#rect13749-54-4">
      <desc
         id="desc3939">height=1;
material=BuildingUpPanelShack;</desc>
    </rect>

and secondly a random building pulled from the original map1
Code:
 <rect
       style="fill:#ff0000;fill-opacity:1;stroke:none;display:inline;enable-background:new"
       id="buildingrect4003-2-5-1-77-6-0"
       width="51.429337"
       height="23.459923"
       x="956.83691"
       y="84.45491"
       inkscape:label="#rect4003"
       transform="matrix(0.92992939,0.36773812,-0.36773812,0.92992939,0,0)">
      <desc
         id="desc5502-46-6-3">height=5;</desc>
    </rect>

The only consistent difference between the nonworking and working buildings seemed to be the transform variable anything using the scale would happily crash while the objects using the matrix seems to get along just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm 

Cheers, it works now.