It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:55 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 38 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 39

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: [1.02] XCOM mod
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:56 am 

Glad you like it! My two cents on your two cents on my two cents:

Floater to Outsider: This was my concern as well, but I figured that the Aliens wouldn't mind using them as mainline infantry in a large scale conflict as something akin to Clone Troopers alongside their other units. They're deadly in Vanilla EU and even more so in the LW mod, so it's fine in my book.

EXALT Dialogue: My thought process is that they were something akin to the Payday heisters: Professionals, but informal and familiar with one another. It adds to their charm, I think. ;)

Chat Icons: Don't expect anything too wonderful, they were resized in Paint, lol.

Balancing: The aliens seem to have some wonky hit-detection on their guns, e.g. I've seen enemies take full plasma carbine clips to the face without flinching. Will look into it.

Trails: Don't worry, I took into consideration how the plasma/laser look in XCOM. You'll see when you boot up my version, let me know what you think.
--------------------------------

This isn't even my mod, but it's so great to work with. One of my first thoughts when I bought RWR was, and I shit you not: "It'd be really cool if someone made an XCOM mod for this game." So I go on the forums, and lo and behold...

I'm learning as I go. I'm no modder or programmer by any means, but I'm starting to get a feel for how it all works. And before I forget, here's the link to my version of the mod. It's already renamed, so you can extract it to overlays without a hassle:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l779s ... h+XCOM.zip

Let me know what you think!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 am 

Ramsoos wrote:
Glad you like it! My two cents on your two cents on my two cents:

Floater to Outsider: This was my concern as well, but I figured that the Aliens wouldn't mind using them as mainline infantry in a large scale conflict as something akin Clone Troopers alongside their other units. They're deadly in Vanilla EU and even more so in the LW mod, so it's fine in my book.

EXALT Dialogue: My thought process is that they were something akin to the Payday heisters: Professionals, but informal and familiar with one another. It adds to their charm, I think. ;)

Chat Icons: Don't expect anything too wonderful, they were resized in Paint, lol.

Balancing: The aliens seem to have some wonky hit-detection on their guns, e.g. I've seen enemies take full plasma carbine clips to the face without flinching. Will look into it.

Trails: Don't worry, I took into consideration how the plasma/laser look in XCOM. You'll see when you boot up my version, let me know what you think.
--------------------------------

This isn't even my mod, but it's so great to work with. One of my first thoughts when I bought RWR was, and I shit you not: "It'd be really cool if someone made an XCOM mod for this game." So I go on the forums, and lo and behold...

I'm learning as I go. I'm no modder or programmer by any means, but I'm starting to get a feel for how it all works. And before I forget, here's the link to my version of the mod. It's already renamed, so you can extract it to overlays without a hassle:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l779s ... h+XCOM.zip

Let me know what you think!

Ok so upon starting up the mod in quick match I was met with this:
Attachment:
ogreexception.JPG
ogreexception.JPG [ 27.66 KiB | Viewed 18038 times ]

Something that had to do with the modified laser files and after trying to figure out where ..\..\..\..\OgreMain etc was, I figured it must obviously have something to do with the laser files.
Thus I went into the particles folder and removed the trail and material files for "laser"

Attachment:
laser issue.JPG
laser issue.JPG [ 59.91 KiB | Viewed 18038 times ]

Upon running the mod it thankfully did not crash my game, however it came with some unexpected side effects, all of them definitely because of the laser file deletion.
http://imgur.com/a/fkYrV
The first photo has those big ass triangles; those are the shots fired from the plasma weapons, which is odd because the laser files that were removed shouldn't mess with the plasma
Third photo is the Laser fire; they're not red but considering that I messed with the laser files, it shouldn't be a problem. Second photo is just comparison with regular vanilla bullets.
Just thought they were interesting so I included them with the original crash report.
Anyway as for the actual mod:
- XCOM
- Afros and 'fro combs on soldiers were a nice little touch. I feel something that unique could instead be placed on another miniboss instead of among the rank and file of XCOM
- Uniforms of Xcom were very flat coloured. Little definition in the body armour. An easy way to fix this is to just use very slightly different shades of the base colour and put the shades in places that make sense such as darker colours in armpits, underarms, backs of knees. And lighter colours on the shoulders, arms, etc. A sort of camouflage pattern of some sort would also achieve the same effect, albeit depending on the pattern used. This would really help for the soldiers to look less awkward for lack of a better word.
- The female model was a nice extra touch. I didn't put them in as I reasoned that from the distance the player looks at everything, it wasn't a very big priority to make an additional model/ edit existing

-EXALT
-Went into ogre and looked at the models there. Very subtle changes between each soldier helped break up the monotony that I didn't even realise I had with the soldiers in EXALT i.e. hair, coloured bandana, etc
-The payday feel was real, chatter between Exalt felt like what you would hear from an action movie. The laugh in deaths face kind of dialogue etc.
-Not particularly much to say about EXALT. Except I have a burning hatred of their orange-red colour scheme in EU. Just a personal thing nothing against you of course but fuck... they look like clowns in EU. But I can see the bandanas and such being liked by someone else so yeah, bit of a tangent there.

-Aliens
-The addition of the stormgun and Alien suppression rifle were very nice and added a bit of rapid fire flavour that the aliens were lacking
-Outsider unit is just amazingly done like wow. The game sadly does not give the model justice compared to when you look at it in ogre. Just an excellent job on him.
-The bright green of the Mutons heavily reminded me of the ones in UFO defense, which I'm pretty sure was what you were aiming for. The colours of the aliens gave a nice contrast to the drabs of XCOM and Exalt.
- Personally I was on the border with putting a larger collar on the Muton during the earlier parts of the mod because it just looked way too big. But seeing it on your mutons, it wasn't as terrible as I had previously thought. Perhaps just a minor thing but adding an extra layer of voxels on the body would help in making it look larger and more intimidating

- Overall changes
- I didn't realise just how many guns were missing from the armouries, I had reasoned that as a rank and file trooper/operative/muton, you wouldn't need to have the latest and greatest in rail/laser/plasma technology, but in retrospect I probably did limit the player a bit too much by weapon choice.
- Chat icons were a nice touch, just a simple cutout of each of them would help it fit more into the RWR style.
- The unique chatter of each faction was extremely well done. The few lines I had come up with just do not compare with yours. Basically near total revamps of the dialogue and the trooper to trooper exchanges were very entertaining to read through. You really captured the sort of emotions and types of soldier each faction would consist of. Again excellent work here.

Aside from the initial hiccup with crashing and giant triangles, a very well done mod, even if it is a mod of a mod I'm really glad I was able to contribute to your dream of an XCOM mod. I'm gonna be real right here for a sec but this was easily the highlight of my day without a doubt. If you ever want to collaborate some more on both of our mods, feel free to contact me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:03 pm 

Thanks for the input. Also, to properly fix that startup error, you need to delete the laser trail files in the vanilla game, not the mod file. Don't worry, the vanilla game is still fully playable with no issues, even online. Might wanna redownload and boot it up again. This is the only way I know how to do it ATM, sorry for the lack of professionalism.

In terms of your other critiques:

XCOM: Only reason I didn't add camo to armors is because they aren't like that in EU. Will do more detailing though.

-Probably should add the afro to a miniboss, yeah. Just wanted each XCOM soldier to have their own style. (Did you notice the gene modded soldier?)

EXALT: I'm a stickler for detail, so that's why I made subtle changes.

-Glad you like the dialogue!

-I plan to change the red-orange full balaclava on the one soldier model. Not digging ketchup and mustard balaclava.

Aliens: Thank you so much for your compliments on the Outsider model! I was so concerned with how it might look.

-I think gameplay and balance comes before theme, but only slightly. That's why I expanded the armory.

-Will work on Muton model.

Overall: Glad you like the dialogue! It's still a WIP, but I'm very happy with it so far.

-Like I said, icons are a work in progress.

-Would love to collaborate more.

-The reason that removing the laser trail mod file fucks with the plasmas is because the plasma guns use laser trail files, and lasers use plasma. This is solely because I got them mixed up when making them and haven't fixed it. Sorryyyy....

So yeah, redownload the mod or restore the deleted files, and delete the vanilla game laser trail files. Tell me what you think of the proper trails!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:27 pm 

Ramsoos wrote:
Thanks for the input. Also, to properly fix that startup error, you need to delete the laser trail files in the vanilla game, not the mod file. Don't worry, the vanilla game is still fully playable with no issues, even online. Might wanna redownload and boot it up again. This is the only way I know how to do it ATM, sorry for the lack of professionalism.

hmm I'm not sure that did the fix properly. I deleted the laser.trail file in vanilla and now all the plasma guns fire star wars red laser bolts.

but otherwise your modded mod is friggin amazing too

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:45 pm 

-Snip, no longer relevant, see post below-

Last edited by Ramsoos on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:06 pm 

New Version of my version is up.

Changelog:
-All XCOM models have been given a minor facelift. One unit also uses the gene modded appearance, and another has some "art" on his armor.
-All EXALT units have been given gloves.
-Minor facelift on one EXALT unit.
-Crash on startup error resolved: Vanilla laser files no longer need to be deleted, restore them if you have.
-Plasma and Laser file mix up has been fixed.
-All trails should now work properly.
-Laser trail files are now called "Beam."

Thanks herbzi!

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?p588pn8cz5uldyd

EDIT: Uh, this is fine if I post this here, right? Or would you want me to make my own thread?

Last edited by Ramsoos on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:54 pm 

Yeah man don't worry its cool for you to post here, if you want I could put it in the beginning instead of it just being in the comments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:56 pm 

If that's fine with you, cool. A little sub-heading for my version, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:44 am 

Mod updated, just content

Overall:
-Added Ramsoos version of the XCOM mod (Running with XCOM), see front of topic for more information and download link
-Aspects from Ramsoos version incorporated into main mod, most noticeable being outsiders and larger armoury and given credit.
-Topic streamlined to be less cluttered
Feedback for both mods will be well appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:56 am 

Running with XCOM updated.

Changelog:
-Minor Dialogue changes for all three factions, new lines for EXALT
-Added Acake's Fusion Bomber to the Alien Armory.
-Fusion Bomber nerfed: 25 grenade capacity reduced to 5.
-Minor facelift on red EXALT commander.
-Proper XCOM sounds for laser weapons (credit to Acake for getting them)

Download link will be updated, I would wait for Acake to confirm before DL'ing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next