It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 43 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 72

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:41 pm 

Really sorry about the downed link, will try to get that back up soon. Apparently it was taken down by a third party, I haven't looked into it yet. Hopefully, it will be back up in a few hours. If MEGA won't host it, I'll upload with Mediafire. Once again, very sorry about that.

EDIT: Download link has been restored. If it's taken down again, I'll host the mod through mediafire instead. Sorry about the hassle!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:53 pm 

No apologies necessary; I'm just happy that you replied quickly. Thanks a lot for the great mod!

I have a minor question though: Are factions supposed to be unable to capture other faction's weapons? At least in XCOM's case, capturing enemy weapons and utilizing them is a central mechanic for them in the original games, so it seems like an odd exclusion. Does it just cause balance issues, or make the battlefield too confusing or something? I have occasionally found myself identifying enemies by the color of their shots, so I could see that being confusing. Still seems odd.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:23 pm 

Quote:
I have a minor question though: Are factions supposed to be unable to capture other faction's weapons? At least in XCOM's case, capturing enemy weapons and utilizing them is a central mechanic for them in the original games, so it seems like an odd exclusion. Does it just cause balance issues, or make the battlefield too confusing or something? I have occasionally found myself identifying enemies by the color of their shots, so I could see that being confusing. Still seems odd.

I hadn't actually taken this into consideration. Really, the factions are meant to have their own unique weapon styles to help uniform their units. The soldier models in each factions are pretty varied, especially in the alien faction. The unique weapons are meant to help maintain a sense of uniformity in each faction. That, and they help define the faction's playstyle. Each faction's armory is specifically tailored so that the AI's will play and utilize them in a certain way. Sure, the AI can use weapons from the other factions, but it deviates from how that faction is meant to feel.

Hope that answers you question.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:25 pm 

-PSA-

MEGA has once again taken down the RWX download link. Going to get it back up, will be hosting through Mediafire. Sorry once again for the hassle.

EDIT:

Link is back up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:59 am 

NEW UPDATE!

-Changelog: Necro Edition-

Features & Touch-ups:
-All faction-exclusive reinforcement and vehicle calls have their own "plane" shadow.
=XCOM's is the Skyranger.
=EXALT's is a helicopter.
=The Aliens' is a UFO.

-The EXALT Shotgun has a new model (AA-12 as opposed to Spas-12.) Credit to Tremozl. Also has a new firing sound.
-EXALT now has the EXALT SMG. Modeled after the UMP-45. High rate of fire, somewhat inaccurate, ideal for CQC.
-The EXALT Miniboss's model has been reworked: Looks similar to the red Team Leader, but orange.
-XCOM's Squad Leader model has been touched up on to make him stand out a bit more. (Look for the UN colors.)

-All XCOM Railguns will now do slight damage to vehicles, riot shields, deployable cover, crates, and emplacements.
=NOTE: Because of this change, Railguns will one-hit kill unarmored targets, can cause friendly fire.

-The Aliens can now call in a Spawn Truck anywhere on the map.
-XCOM's Rubber Boat call has been replaced with an Armory Truck call.
-The Aliens can now call in a group of 5 Berzerkers.

Balancing:
-XCOM Rail weapons have been more expensive.
-EXALT Laser Weapons have been made cheaper.
-XCOM Titan Commando call has been made more expensive.
-Alien Reinforcement calls have been given scaling prices.

Bugfixes:
-None in this update (no bugs to be addressed.)

Credits:
-Tremozl: AA-12 model, Spawn icon, and armory icon.
-Valve: CS:GO Sawed-Off firing sound.

Download Link in OP has been updated.

Got bored today and decided to do a little work on this project. Hope you enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:06 pm 

NEW UPDATE!

-Changelog: Extreme Makeover Edition-

Features & Touch-ups:
-Beefed up and cleaned up the appearance of the Muton family of units. Standard Muton completely overhauled in appearance.
-Outsider model completely overhauled. Now has the proper EU bronze and black color scheme, and has changed a good deal in overall appearance. Outsider Elite model left untouched.
-Alien Plasma Rifle and Alien Plasma Carbine have been remodeled to more closely resemble their EU appearance.
-Changed the firing sound of the Alien Plasma Rifle to that of the Alien Heavy Rifle.
-The EXALT Miniboss now uses the Veteran Armored EXALT model.
-Added a hud icon for the damaged Covert Ops Vest.
-New icon for the EXALT Veteran Armor, as well as damaged versions.
-Organized the Armories for each faction; split Tier 1 and Tier 2 guns.
-New loading screen hints.
-EXALT can now call in a Flare anywhere on the map, 350 RP Cost. (300 is the price of the Flare, 50 is deployment cost.)
-Made it so that small smoke puffs should appear from plasma shot impacts.
-XCOM now operates off of BalanceRethink's default.ai and elite.ai. They should play a bit more defensively and encourage trench fighting. The Aliens operate off of Acake's original Alien AI. EXALT still uses vanilla AI.
-Minor touch-ups on some EXALT models, namely the Veteran Armored model.
-The EXALT Veteran call now calls in Veterans instead of Team Leaders.
-The Veteran in the EXALT Insertion Team call has been replaced with a Team Leader.

Balancing:
-Outsiders are now innately better shots than any other alien unit to better define their role as marksmen.
-Made it so that XCOM Squad Leaders and Minibosses will occasionally use the grenade launcher.
-Alien Needle Rifle buffed. (12 Ammo, up from 3.)
-EXALT Laser Rifle rate of fire buffed. (Now fires slightly faster than the standard EXALT Assault Rifle.)
-EXALT Laser Rifle made slightly more expensive. (120 RP, up from 100.)
-Alien Needle Rifle chance to kill nerfed.
-Alien Plasma Sniper clip size buffed.
-XCOM Grenade Launcher price increased.
-Alien Plasma Sniper given a proper price.
-Alien Needle Rifle price doubled.

Bugfixes:
-Fixed a bug where EXALT female agents always had armor.
-Fixed a bug where Berzerkers would not wear their proper vest.
-Cleaned up faction .XMLs so that certain units should no longer spawn with the wrong armor.

Credits:
-Matricaria: BalanceRethink AI.
-Acake: Alien AI.

Download Link in OP has been updated to the latest version.

Post subject: Alien weakness
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:05 am 

I found with the current version, the aliens need some DESPERATE increase in firepower or armor. I found as I played Xcom, I could wipe out entire hordes of aliens staying out of cover. As aliens, I felt weaker than Exalt or Xcom. They need a bit of balancing to give them that, "Were going to kill all of you and make you regret facing us" feel.

Post subject: Re: Alien weakness
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:45 pm 

Jak Sharperten wrote:
I found with the current version, the aliens need some DESPERATE increase in firepower or armor. I found as I played Xcom, I could wipe out entire hordes of aliens staying out of cover. As aliens, I felt weaker than Exalt or Xcom. They need a bit of balancing to give them that, "Were going to kill all of you and make you regret facing us" feel.

Don't worry my friend, the next update is very Alien-centric. 1 confirmed new unit that really throws a monkey wrench into the whole "stay in cover" tactic, the return of an old unit, and a new weapon or two. Probably going to add the UFO Defense Chryssalid that was suggested earlier. Some units are going to receive special buffs as well.

From what I've playtested so far, holding off an alien assault is a lot harder than past versions. I've been trying to make the Aliens more powerful for a long time, and I think I'm starting to reach that with this update.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:55 pm 

Back from the dead once more.

Still loving your mod of a mod, Ram but I agree with the previous sentiment that the Aliens aren't really fitting the bill of "We are here to crush you and there's nothing you can do to stop us."

In terms of faction individuality, I would think the Aliens should be the strongest in armour and weaponry. XCOM should be using reverse engineered technology (though with their own flair to maintain their presence as a separate faction,) while Exalt are more like the growing threat and/or a nuisance to the other two. Less direct combat and more subvert stuff.

I'm kinda happy to hear that the black, silver grinning buggers are making it in, for they were one of my most hated enemies in classic UFO defense... well, them and any psi capable enemies.

It might be a little early, what with XCOM 2 being delayed til next year, but how would you feel about adding original weapons to your mod? With Advent being included you could probably toss in a few new guns that only they have access to. Perhaps an Advent mini-boss above the captains with some kind of unique weapon? You could borrow from the portable minigun in vanilla RWR and give them an energy variant that is just as lethal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:24 am 

Hey, CptFoot! Glad to see you're still around.

Quote:
Still loving your mod of a mod, Ram but I agree with the previous sentiment that the Aliens aren't really fitting the bill of "We are here to crush you and there's nothing you can do to stop us."

I've been trying to beef up the Aliens ever since I started editing Acake's version of the mod, though I'm not trying to make them steamrollers. While they are far more advanced than the other two factions, they aren't here to just squash everything in their path; if they wanted to do that, they'd just glass the battlefield from orbit. Here are my balance attempts:

-Tier 2 Alien Units appear far more often than the other two factions'.
-Alien reinforcement calls are the cheapest, and offer better unit choice than the other factions'.
-Alien guns are accurate and very deadly, almost guaranteed to kill anything they hit.
-Alien armor isn't as good as XCOM's, but is more evenly distributed. Almost half of the Alien unit roster is guaranteed to have armor of some kind.

I want to make them a powerful foe, but not necessarily a Hell March faction, if you get what I mean.

Quote:
XCOM should be using reverse engineered technology (though with their own flair to maintain their presence as a separate faction,) while Exalt are more like the growing threat and/or a nuisance to the other two. Less direct combat and more subvert stuff.

XCOM does use reverse-engineered alien tech, their whole Tier 2 weapons list is based on salvaged alien gear (notice how the XCOM Rail Weapons and Alien Plasma weapons behave similarly?) XCOM is really meant to be a defensive, beefy, and versatile faction.

EXALT has, by far, the best stealth options of all the factions. The Pacifier and TMP really help in this area. In general, EXALT is meant to be Alpha Strike incarnate: get in, fuck shit up, get out. Their defensive game isn't as good as XCOM's, save for certain bases (such as bases in Old Fort Creek.)

Quote:
well, them and any psi capable enemies.

XCOM 2 Sectoids are planned. Thinking of giving them some kind of freaky PSI bomb power.

Quote:
It might be a little early, what with XCOM 2 being delayed til next year, but how would you feel about adding original weapons to your mod? With Advent being included you could probably toss in a few new guns that only they have access to. Perhaps an Advent mini-boss above the captains with some kind of unique weapon? You could borrow from the portable minigun in vanilla RWR and give them an energy variant that is just as lethal.

One of the big things I go for in this mod is authenticity. I try to leave out OC, save for filling in some gaps (Outsider Elites, EXALT Team Leaders, etc.) I'm definitely not against the idea, though, I just try to limit it to where necessary.

As for ADVENT, I'm adding to them as more info is released. I'll go ahead and spoil something now: one of the new alien units is the ADVENT Stun Lancer, revealed in the Firaxis mega-panel at PAX. They are similar to Berzerkers, but they wear Covert Ops vests and retain their rifles. In-game, this translates to a fast executioner unit that will charge at you while you're pinned down, or finishing you off while stunned. I've been playtesting them for a while now, and they've definitely added some muscle to the Alien unit roster. Don't let them catch you reloading.

Thanks for your input!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next