It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:09 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 42 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 20

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:49 pm 

Okay, so i took another look at it, and I still don't understand why a soldier couldn't be a 3d model, seriously, OGRE XML files support bones and animations, I even tried my theory and exported a 3d model with bones in it as an ogre XML file, how ever because I do not know the name of the bones or the skeletal structure of the RWR soldier, I can not implement my 3d model or even test it in the game, because the bones and skeleton are not named the same as the voxel soldier.

I'm hoping someone else can shed some light on this, using very low poly 3d models for soldiers would be amazing, and give the game a whole new look an feel? Guns and vehicles can be 3d models, I already tested that so why can't the soldiers?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:07 am 

You do know the names of the bones of the soldier - just take a look at the skeleton.xml file that should have come with your version of the RWR Voxel editor.

Although I can pretty safely say that having 3D modeled soldiers isn't going to look very nice with things pointing this way and that uncontrollably.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:31 am 

Hey you were right, there is the names of the bones right there. And you said that the models don't support rotation, they just move. so I'm going to position the arms in a way so they don't have to rotate. the animations in rwr are very basic, so what I'm going to do is set the limbs so they line up with rwr's animation style.

It will be interesting to see how it comes out really.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:10 am 
Site Admin

I'm afraid there's not many enablers in place for this to be possible. The character specification loading simply doesn't have such a path that would lead to a polygonal 3D model to be loaded for characters and skeletal animations. Also the animated character shaders have been prepared for voxel model use only.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:29 pm 

But isn't a Voxel model just built up of boxes? or are the voxels considered particles? what would stop the game loading a 3d model instead of a voxel model if it had the same skeleton?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:12 pm 

xr79 wrote:
But isn't a Voxel model just built up of boxes? or are the voxels considered particles? what would stop the game loading a 3d model instead of a voxel model if it had the same skeleton?

The voxel model isn't in any 3D file format but simply an .xml file with coordinates and colors for each voxel, so I suppose the two would be implemented differently.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:16 pm 

There has to be something that can be done right? Torchlight uses Ogre mesh and it's rigged? isn't there a coder out there that could make RWR compatible with low poly 3d models rather than voxels? the game would be even more amazing than it is!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:06 am 

xr79 wrote:
There has to be something that can be done right? Torchlight uses Ogre mesh and it's rigged? isn't there a coder out there that could make RWR compatible with low poly 3d models rather than voxels? the game would be even more amazing than it is!

You're really persistent with this, aren't you? :P Pasik already came in and said it wasn't possible, and he knows his way around this engine - he is the main and only coder, you know.

Like Dark said, voxels and 3D models are two different beasts. There's a reason why vehicles don't have any more complex animations other than turning turrets and rotating / translating textures.