It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:40 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 53 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 171

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:01 am 

So, thanks to pasik telling me how to start up the voxel editor, I've begun work on a mod to replace each side with people/aliens from Muv Luv (a subset of games in the KimiIta storyline).

Here's a picture I drew about a year ago which shows a bit of what the male Eishi uniform looks like:

And here are my attempts at re-creating it (albeit with different colours):

I've started making one of the aliens from the games, the Venator class BETA. Here's a sprite of it ripped directly from Muv Luv Altered Fable (thanks, Westside Extractor):

And here is my unfinished voxel version of it:

And finally, here's a video showing off the models in-game:
http://youtu.be/ok0-E9Oijp4?hd=1

Now, there are a few things I'd like to do, but those dont seem possible yet. First of all, I hope that Foamy can get his mod completed where he wants to make one side only able to use melee attacks. That, I guess, is the most important part, haha.

Secondly, I've seen in the suggestions board that some people wanted multiple classes of soldiers per team. A suggestion I'd like to make would be to be that, opposed to multiple classes, there are simply multiple different soldier files for each team so that I can have some diversity in the way the humans look and have multiple different classes of BETA.

Thirdly, and finally, another thing that'd be useful would be different animation files for each team. That way, I can make it so that the Venator's body doesn't move like the human feet would.

Anyway, those are really the only things holding back this mod. But even with those problems, it still looks pretty good, haha. ///_^

Once the drivable vehicles get implemented into the game, I'm going to try and mod them to look like the TSFs:
(I drew this, too).

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, simply amazing! :)

Support for having variable models for each faction is coming regardless of classes, as RWR would directly benefit from that as well by having soldiers with sleeves rolled up and other minor differences.

Model / faction specific animations should be an easy add too.

The melee-only faction is currently the most problematic thing of these, and it's something that isn't directly on RWR's path of progression so that it would just become implemented on the side of everything else. RWR doesn't have support for primary-weaponless characters currently and the AI isn't made to handle such case, so e.g. simply making "faction specific weapons" (once it's supported) non-existent wouldn't make it work either.

I've had some initial thoughts for adding animals mostly just for atmosphere, like birds, fish, wolves, bunnies, hedgehogs, sheep, that might or might not have a useful modding point for this kind of melee-only stuff. I've been thinking that the animals would have the utmost simple controllable logic of either fleeing away from noise/other entities or pursuing them when in range. An attack animation slot could be added for the pursuit behavior when in close range of the target and defining a kill probability for the hit, essentially enabling hostile animals.

Having said that, it's not really something I'm focusing right now, sounds like a 0.9 or after-1.0 kinda thing. :/

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:30 pm 

Thank you! ///_^

Ah, brilliant! So you were already planning to have multiple models per faction. That's good to hear. It's actually really fun customizing these voxel models, so I cant wait to have the chance to make more aliens (preferably ones with legs that can go along with the regular animations, haha).

After playing with these models for a while, having the BETA use guns isn't really that bad. The melee-only thing isn't as important as I thought, I guess.

On that other note, having animals in the game would be awesome. Even ones that simply run away. It's like in Shogun 2 Total War where there were random deer running around. That really gave that game a new level of enjoyability, if simply for aesthetic purposes.