Game servers 41 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 44

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: CHLO'S SNOW MOD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

ChloChlo wrote:
pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:
I feel like doing a texture pack for the elements of Gampleay (HUD; Grass; Crates) But I don't feel like doing the time to work on something if noone would want it.

Anyone want it?

This is going off topic now, but anyway, how about creating a level mod? ;) You could start with, let's say,
* making terrain5_alpha_asphalt.png, terrain5_alpha_dirt.png, terrain5_alpha_road.png, terrain5_alpha_sand.png all completely black to clear terrain splatting to grass only
* open terrain5_heightmap.png in gimp and replace it by clearing it first, then filters->render->difference clouds to get some random heights around
* pay attention that all these png files need to be grayscale for the game to use them properly
* open objects.svg in inkscape and move/delete/copy/modify things around to put buildings, bushes, trees, rocks, crates, spawn points, bases etc in place, and delete all roads and zebra crossings.
* Last thing, fill worldcolor.png completely with a green color.

Done! You've got your own world of grass!

Speaking of that, is this the only way to edit the map? When will we get an in-game map editor, Lord? =D

(I think I already replied to this, apparently not as I can't find my post anywhere.. :) )

Pretty much yes. I know it's a bit of a mess to work with two tools, one for terrain, the other for objects, but that's how it is currently. It helps a bit to have the terrain splatting images as layers in proper order in gimp and have them colorized to understand it visually. I just wish gimp had better support for vector editing (or I knew better how to use one if it already exists), or inkscape had better pixel editing support. It's a far fetch, but maybe some tricky shortcuts to trigger exporting to files and reloading them in both applications would help to keep things semi-automatically in sync, but I don't have a clue yet how such thing could be accomplished..

An in-game map editor would be pretty awesome and would solve everything. I'm afraid that won't happen until the digging feature is implemented, it requires the editable terrain manager to be in place, and honestly, that's rather far away still.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:18 pm 

pasik wrote:
(I think I already replied to this, apparently not as I can't find my post anywhere.. :) )

Pretty much yes. I know it's a bit of a mess to work with two tools, one for terrain, the other for objects, but that's how it is currently. It helps a bit to have the terrain splatting images as layers in proper order in gimp and have them colorized to understand it visually. I just wish gimp had better support for vector editing (or I knew better how to use one if it already exists), or inkscape had better pixel editing support. It's a far fetch, but maybe some tricky shortcuts to trigger exporting to files and reloading them in both applications would help to keep things semi-automatically in sync, but I don't have a clue yet how such thing could be accomplished..

An in-game map editor would be pretty awesome and would solve everything. I'm afraid that won't happen until the digging feature is implemented, it requires the editable terrain manager to be in place, and honestly, that's rather far away still.

I can't seem to make it grascale.... how do you do that?

Also, I've figured out the Objects! :D

EDIT: Yeah, yeah I know Black and White, but I can't seem to make it grayscale so the game will allow it.

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:

EDIT: Yeah, yeah I know Black and White, but I can't seem to make it grayscale so the game will allow it.

For the record, here are the objects, was just writing it :)

You can peek in the object properties, usually it's in the label or id what it represents. Anyway, it should be mostly self-explanatory:
* grey is a rock,
* green is a tree,
* brighter neon-green is a bush
* orange is a crate or a container
* red is a building, define height in the description in object properties
* the orange outlined green box is a grenade supply
* blue box is a spawn point
* semi-transparent yellow box marks a base, the only significant point is the center, so the size is more like a visual aid than anything else, name can be defined in the description; you might want to push these boxes on the bottom of the page to ease the pain with modifying everything else
* black narrow lines are walls, trenches, sandbag/security/farm fences, defined on the label
* the dotted thick white stripes along a path, zebra crossing of course
Then there's the tricky part:
* road and asphalt (pavement), the thick black and grey colored paths. The road center line in the objects.svg is utilized to create the stripes on the road, but the actual road graphics need to come from terrain5-_road.png. What I've done is make the roads in inkscape and export only the roads to an image, same thing for asphalt, except the asphalt doesn't have the stripes, so it actually doesn't do anything in objects.svg.. I might do something about this in the future, maybe make the game generate the road and asphalt images by using the data in objects.svg, would make things a lot simpler with roads.

About the grayscale, I myself seem to have issues with getting gimp saving the images as grayscale even if I'd go Image->Mode->Grayscale, which is highly annoying -- don't know which setting prevents it or if a newer version would do the trick. The workaround I've used so far is to use irfanview to convert the images to grayscale, which adds another tool to an already crowded toolchain :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:45 pm 

pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:

For the record, here are the objects, was just writing it :)

You can peek in the object properties, usually it's in the label or id what it represents. Anyway, it should be mostly self-explanatory:
* grey is a rock,
* green is a tree,
* brighter neon-green is a bush
* orange is a crate or a container
* red is a building, define height in the description in object properties
* the orange outlined green box is a grenade supply
* blue box is a spawn point
* semi-transparent yellow box marks a base, the only significant point is the center, so the size is more like a visual aid than anything else, name can be defined in the description; you might want to push these boxes on the bottom of the page to ease the pain with modifying everything else
* black narrow lines are walls, trenches, sandbag/security/farm fences, defined on the label
* the dotted thick white stripes along a path, zebra crossing of course
Then there's the tricky part:
* road and asphalt (pavement), the thick black and grey colored paths. The road center line in the objects.svg is utilized to create the stripes on the road, but the actual road graphics need to come from terrain5-_road.png. What I've done is make the roads in inkscape and export only the roads to an image, same thing for asphalt, except the asphalt doesn't have the stripes, so it actually doesn't do anything in objects.svg.. I might do something about this in the future, maybe make the game generate the road and asphalt images by using the data in objects.svg, would make things a lot simpler with roads.

About the grayscale, I myself seem to have issues with getting gimp saving the images as grayscale even if I'd go Image->Mode->Grayscale, which is highly annoying -- don't know which setting prevents it or if a newer version would do the trick. The workaround I've used so far is to use irfanview to convert the images to grayscale, which adds another tool to an already crowded toolchain :(

It seems that a newer version could fix it. I am able to convert to grayscale with GIMP version 2.6.

Try downloading 2.6 and maybe it'll work?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm using gimp 2.6.8, but there seems to be 2.6.11 available, maybe it's solved in that. Gotta try it the next time I'm working with the level files. Thanks for the hint!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:28 pm 

pasik wrote:
I'm using gimp 2.6.8, but there seems to be 2.6.11 available, maybe it's solved in that. Gotta try it the next time I'm working with the level files. Thanks for the hint!

No problem! :)

By the way, you mentioned

* semi-transparent yellow box marks a base, the only significant point is the
center, so the size is more like a visual aid than anything else, name can be defined in the description; you might want to push these boxes on the bottom of the page to ease the pain with modifying everything else

Where do I find the description? Maybe I'm too excited being able to make a map that I'm forgetting something, or missing a hidden feature... ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:

center, so the size is more like a visual aid than anything else, name can be defined in the description; you might want to push these boxes on the bottom of the page to ease the pain with modifying everything else

Where do I find the description? Maybe I'm too excited being able to make a map that I'm forgetting something, or missing a hidden feature... ?

Right click on the yellow box and choose object properties, there's the description field.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm 

pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:

Right click on the yellow box and choose object properties, there's the description field.

Ah, I've never really taken the time to get used to Inkscape. xD