It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:09 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 56 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 171

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:09 am 

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at RWR as a candidate for a low hardware requirement MP Co-Op game for myself and a group of friends.

Having played the demo I can say that it's gucci as fork. But there are a few things I need to know before pushing my group into buying the demo.

1. Is there a mission editor function that allows you to place enemy positions and limit/place vehicles/resources no. of enemy etc.

2. Is MP based on a virtual shared screen or will every player be able to run everywhere?

3. How big are the maps?

4. We're a primarily reconnaissance based group, that's right, we take notes and draw sketches of the things on our PC monitors, sad but true. In people's general experience of RWR is it amenable to this sort of gameplay.
I.e. for most of our mission nights we'd aim to approach an objective, take notes on it and then leave without being seen (we usually get seen and have to break contact/run away).

The reality is, we started off as an OFP/ARMA group but as time has gone on we haven't been able to make the hardware investment/time investment to keep that up so we're looking for a less hardware intensive game that we can play without having to buy an uber-box our respective wives will notice.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Admin

First, I'd stress that RWR isn't specifically known for being a low HW game, but looks like you already tried the demo and if that ran fine enough for you, the current full beta should run fine as well.

1. While map editing is possible using Inkscape, I wouldn't call it a real mission editor. The mission related stuff you can do with Inkscape is mostly adding and removing the vehicle and soldier spawn points, base locations and optional fixed initial bases for factions.

Soldier counts, initial base ownerships, AI attack / border control / defense force weighting can be controlled on the server with a few XML commands, or through scripting.

Spoiler:
Currently, the mission-like stuff in vanilla e.g. comms truck destroy objective and cargo truck delivery objective, have been set up by declaring these vehicle types as something that spawns once per faction using any of the available vehicle spawn points bound with these vehicle types, and by declaring them something that needs protection. The commanding AI knows from this that a driver must be designated for the truck, who will sit in the vehicle and flee to another of its spawn points when things get hot around it, + a support squad should stay near it to protect it.

So, e.g. you might set up things so that your faction always starts at one specific base, turn off base capturing, set all of the factions to defend only so that you won't risk losing your only base - you need that to exist, and you focus on roaming in the enemy zone, trying to locate their comms truck or cargo truck (or any other vehicle you might want to set up for destroying or delivery), and your faction might have 0 AI if you want to do it purely alone with your coop buddies. You could also turn down the number of bases in the map to have less possibilities where your objective targets are.

We haven't done this in vanilla yet, but it's technically possible to model a static destroy target as a vehicle that doesn't move, and track its destroy-signal to give a reward, or possibly advance in the objective sequence if things are handled through scripting.

Soon, it'll be possible to plant items in soldiers' backpacks using the objective control scripts and track for these items getting delivered to a chosen place in the map, making character / item based missions possible as well.

2/3. Every player can run anywhere within the map, but maps are restricted at 1 square kilometer area. The vanilla maps range from 6-14 bases; the one with 14 bases utilizes most of the whole map area.