It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:16 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 13

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:42 am 

Hi there,

I am unsure if this belongs here, but I don't see a bug/balance thread anywhere.
But maybe I am being crosseyed. :?

Anyway, I started a really easy campaign game (2-1 friendly-enemy ratio) to learn the curves a bit, and so far it's indeed easy. Except when I entered the Old Creek map and started in the Textile Factory.
The friendly AI just couldn't hold any ground whatsoever. Every time 'we' managed to conquer an area, we'd lose it again in a heartbeat.

After hours of fighting I gave up, returned to the previous map, went to Old Creek again and this time my base was in another spot (top-left, above the Textile Factory).
We conquered the map in, I think, less than half an hour, completely steamrolling the enemy.

Maybe this needs looking into?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:14 am 

Hey Gotcha!

The textile factory is a bit cut off from the other bases, thus once you achieve to conquer a new territory it might take a few until some allied AI squads move up to the freshly conquered base to gather up from there and start the attack. You may need to defend the base until there are enough allies there before you start the assault on the next base, else you might just end dying and the enemy might overroll you again. If you have enough RP/rank you might want to call in a paratrooper squad. You can also try to backdoor another base (you can take any base you want, you don't need to take the targeted base) which are usually less well defended, which might spread up the battle a bit. Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:54 am 

Hmm...
I tried defending, but as the AI rushes in, I usually found myself alone and surrounded, as my allies were wiped out in no time. And since I am then a minority, the enemy would retake the sector.
I brought in many paratroopers, two tanks even. I set up machine guns in certain perimeters, but no go.
At one point I was just throwing around 8 paratroopers 4 times in a row. Wasted my money. :P

I've taken several different sectors by not following the AI's intended target, and did well. But every time the AI would strike back in numbers, with no reinforcements from my side.
Guarding an area in a tank went rather well, up to the point that I'd get zerged again, and without reinforcements I was back on square one.

I don't want to sound like a smartarse, but I still feel the AI isn't doing a good job or balance is very off when starting in the Textile Factory. :P

Thanks for your reply. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Gotcha! wrote:
Hmm...
I tried defending, but as the AI rushes in, I usually found myself alone and surrounded, as my allies were wiped out in no time. And since I am then a minority, the enemy would retake the sector.
I brought in many paratroopers, two tanks even. I set up machine guns in certain perimeters, but no go.
At one point I was just throwing around 8 paratroopers 4 times in a row. Wasted my money. :P

I've taken several different sectors by not following the AI's intended target, and did well. But every time the AI would strike back in numbers, with no reinforcements from my side.
Guarding an area in a tank went rather well, up to the point that I'd get zerged again, and without reinforcements I was back on square one.

I don't want to sound like a smartarse, but I still feel the AI isn't doing a good job or balance is very off when starting in the Textile Factory. :P

Thanks for your reply. :)

I had something like this a few months back in map3 playing hard difficulty, attacking from Factory to Midtown seemed practically impossible. A few times we almost captured it but that's it. Then I captured the South side base on my own, managed to defend it until our reinforcements settled down there, and continuing from there the game took its normal advancing course.

Midtown is fairly impossible area to target when the enemy has got 3 adjacent bases where to draw reinforcements once you capture the Midtown, so it's not much use trying to secure it first.

In my case the situation wasn't much of a problem, I wouldn't expect RWR to progress all on its own every map, requiring a bit of backdooring is good.

But if this happens with "less hard", then it would seem like an issue. We could just increase the friendly counts in that case, as "less hard" is supposed to be a run-through mostly anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:36 pm 

I recall that the AI kept trying to conquer the central area as well.
Is there a way to direct the AI to other targets (apart from your own squad)?
(I guess that might be an option when at higher ranks?)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 pm 

no there is not, but that might be added later in the development. I think it's fine if starting from some bases is harder than from others, as long as it doesn't get impossible.
Attacking from the factory to midtown is not recommended though, better take your own squad and go for south side, even if that is hard as well. But hey RWR is meant to be hard ;)