It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:10 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 50 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 132

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:35 am 

Hey,

this was our first custom event with something else than PvP(vE). From the feedback I got, people enjoyed it. As we didn't really test it before with more than just us devs to see if the script runs fine, we didn't know how this will turn into, as with a lot of players the experience tends to be different as expected.
For those who took part at the event, please leave a comment about what you liked and what you think should be improved.

What is Teddy crate hunt?

It's a bit of a mix between Deathmatch, capture the flag and treasure hunt. The map consists of alternated bases belonging to either the player faction or the bot faction. Crates can only spawn on bot's territory. A player fights on his own against the other players or the AI team which fight as a team, unlike the players, even though players are allowed to work together.
An approximate location of the Teddy crate is announced every 150s, or when a new one has spawned (the old one has been destroyed). The crate is a metal box which can't be knifed but broken with explosives. If it has been spotted by a player it will be announced to everyone through radio.
Other events that are globally announced through radio:

- playername destroyed the crate
- playername picked up a teddy
- playername dropped a teddy
- playername sold the teddy
- playername stashed a teddy (scored)

At the end of the event wins the player who stashed the most Teddys.
The mad a relatively low amount of AI and the teddy crates have assigned defenders so that it might take a bit until the crate is destroyed which gives the other players some time to join the battle in case they spawned a bit far away.

Improvement ideas:

- It could be considered to have a marker on the map which shows where the crate is.
- The teddy looter's player marker could be shown on the map for the next X seconds after looting.
- the script would tell every few X seconds "playername is leading with Y stashed teddy's"
- When a player joins the server after the event has started he could be informed right away about the region where the crate is located.
- we could also make this as Team teddy hunt

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:30 am 
Site Admin

We had around 16 players most of the time, but it mostly appeared as 4-player game to me at least, and I was always going for the latest announced crate location. Thus I'm guessing most other people were not going to the announced location.

While I like the idea of having to look around for the crate a bit by not having it exactly marked where it is, so that it takes some time at the location which lets other people reach the area in time as well, I'm guessing it's a big part of the reason why people were so scattered. A large, rough marker to show the area where to go and what to scan to find the crate could be helpful.

The alternative of showing the exact location of the crate and the teddy bear carrier could work too, of course. It would make it more intense on the expense of removing the fun of not knowing.

The scattering might be happening for other reasons too. At least getting to fight over the crate at the Academy was painful, as the closest spawn point was at the Airport.

Sometimes it was a bit odd that crates were located at bases which had the stash right there next to them. I personally found it the most fun when I got the teddy bear to myself in the Town area, and the closest stash was at the Hospital, requiring some running, trying to avoid the straight line to sneak past the catchers. Was especially fun to find Tadler guarding the Hospital stash :)

Can't remember now what was set as the crate respawn time, but chances are it was too low. Once the crate was destroyed and the teddy popped out to play with, the next crate probably spawned while the teddy was still in play. This would lead to scattering as well.

Anyway, I had plenty of fun despite the challenges and 300ms lag :D

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:36 pm 

Unlike many (and I think just like Komjac) I had no interest in getting Teddys for win. I was more interested in all those fun FFA fighting (which have proven to me to be TOTALY diffrent than team fight). But what I would advice is to put Stash in central region on map and only there, while Teddys would not respawn in that location. Or at least make sure that if region have stash, it can not have Teddy crate :D Would also be good.

Also I would advice giving players acces to weapons from all factions, not only one (but I must say I was DELIGHTED to see You choosen Brown Faction Weapons over others!!!).

As for Teddy Crate Marker, I would say it is good idea to add one on map but make it quite big and not too precise - I would advice to make it rather graphical representation of that text information, so it would be also showing not exact location, but exact base.

Maybe from time to time insted of crate, we should get miniboss which on death would drop Teddy? :)
Maybe allow one player to become "Teddy Carrier" which is allied with bots, and can use them, have permanent acces to unique weapons and on death always drops Teddy?
Maybe it would be nice to make bots have diffrent uniforms. This time we had only greens. It would be nice to see browns, greens and greys fighting shoulder to shoulder agains players ^^
Maybe it would be nice to award points not only for bringing Teddys into stash, but also to take it into consideration to WHICH stash player brought Teddy? Finding one in Academy and puting it there could give 1 point. Finding Teddy in Academy and puting it into Hospital Stash - 5 points... You get the idea ^^