It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:20 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 42 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 58

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:27 am 

Hello all,
I did not know what part of the forum to put so please do not delete it for being in the wrong section.

I have been battling at moorland trenches for the better part of 4 days IRL. I was stuck on the northern end, gaining 1 base then losing it over and over. This game seems to stalemate pretty often, which is the only thing I don't like about it.
I finally figured out how to gain and hold territory, and after a long time I managed to stamp out the brownshirts and take every territory except Hotel (the graycollar's base).

So everything is fine - I think I can take it relatively quickly.
However, as time adds up, my frustration rises. I've wasted like 8 tanks on the base - im no noob when it comes to tanks, I use them a lot because the infantry AI is idiotic. I see so many of them clustered in bases away from combat, doing nothing, while the enemy AI is very smart. It took me having to use a tank in most battles to win a territory.

Anyways, while I patrolled Hotel with my tank, doing my best to avoid enemy rockets, I sat, wondering when allied AI would push up. I never got ANY infantry support, so every time I ended up getting blown up waiting around for help that never came. And when I look at the map I see 5, 6, and more troops in bases WAY behind enemy lines.

Ultimately, I don't know what to do. It seems that Hotel is impossible to take. Usually tanks won the battle for me, but then I had eventual infantry support. This is with default AI settings. I increased resource payoffs because at the default rate, its near impossible to save enough for anything to help you out. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be this far in the map because, as I mentioned before, the allied AI is often no help at all in taking bases.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:10 am 
Site Admin

I personally almost never use tanks myself, I especially don't find myself using RP to get them. I find paratroopers and strikes much more reliable / straightforward, but to each on their own of course, glad people are ending up in different solutions.

I think what you need to do is to call 8-man paratroopers at the Hotel. Chances are the enemy has a radio tower there blocking the calls, so you'd probably need to get yourself an MP5, a couple of vests and C4, sneak behind the hotel and destroy the radio tower first. Then, call in 2-3 8x paratroopers and run over the base.

It is possible the Hotel is once again bugged in a way the organized attacks from the AI aren't getting launched properly, it has happened at some point. The attacks should be originating somewhere between West farm and Hotel, you should see lots of your troops summoned there and launching waves periodically. You could share your savegame so we could try it too. You'd find the savegame files at %appdata%\Running with rifles\savegames\[yoursavegamename].save folder.

Quote:
This game seems to stalemate pretty often, which is the only thing I don't like about it.

Playing with "Less hard" should mean less stalemates too. In my own runs, mostly it's Moorland Trenches and Bootleg Islands that go stalemate a bit, so that I need to backdoor at least in 2/8 maps, and personally I like it that way. Just running through all the maps wouldn't be what I'd call Hard myself. 4 days in a map obviously sounds off, the hardest time I've ever had in Moorland Trenches is around 3 hours.

Quote:
I see so many of them clustered in bases away from combat, doing nothing, while the enemy AI is very smart. It took me having to use a tank in most battles to win a territory.

The enemy AI is same as friendly AI, with the exception that the enemy concentrates on defense even more than the friendly AI. Friendly forces are in the bases away from battle for defense, you wouldn't want your far away bases defenseless as the enemy might backdoor then too easily (similarly, you could backdoor the enemy too way too easily, same logic applies both ways).

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 pm 

Well, I accidentally teleported myself to Vigil Island while attacking around the rear end of the hotel (a confirmation before leaving a region would be a nice addition).

So when I got back the brownpants and graycollars had two bases on the eastern region, and Hotel is under my control. So I guess i'll see how that goes...

With the exception of Vigil Island (and rattlesnake canyon), I've been stalemated on every map so far.

Also, at Hotel I did call in two groups of paratroopers (8 each). They got slaughtered as easily as the other troops who actually pushed up.
I couldn't really use any airstrikes in the area because when I could see masses of them, the radio tower blocked the signal. Also, it took ages to cross the fields to get over to the hotel, which made the game even more frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:43 am 

You could use the armoured truck to make a spawn behind the hotel and try to sneak to the radio tower.

ComJak