It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:40 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 45 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 18

All times are UTC

Post subject: Feedback and suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:34 pm 

Another list of feedback from one of the game's biggest fans. :P

The latest patch introduced some better protection for soldiers in jeeps. Unfortunately, I feel this protection is now TOO good. Ever time a grenade explodes next to a fully manned jeep it only damages the jeep and its occupants remain unscathed. Before the patch it would kill anyone in the blast radius, even jeep occupants. I personally prefer this.

Barricades: I love that soldiers can now also use these, and the AI places them quite strategically too! Very happy with this change. It would be nice, however, if the AI wouldn't wait with placing a barrier until it saw an enemy (or whatever combat-related thing triggers it) but actually placed it in non-combat situations too, like when defending a location far behind enemy lines. I don't know if this is possible to program (big maps might cause a problem) but it would be thematically interesting.
A second point regarding barricades is the fact that damaging an enemy's barricades awards RP (or was it XP?) while destroying one of your own doesn't. Since identifying barricades as belonging to one faction or another has been disabled it's hard to tell which you can destroy for a few extra points and which you can't. My suggestion would be to disable points for barricades all together, since thematically an enemy's barricades can easily become your own if you push your enemy back. This brings me to my next point.

Damaging and destroying enemy vehicles awards points. When these vehicles are occupied, or are behind enemy lines it would make sense to destroy these and thus it makes sense to get points for them. However, destroying an enemy transport that's been parked behind your own lines for some time should not give points in my opinion, as it thematically makes no sense to destroy enemy equipment that has fallen into your hands if you can also use it.

Mortars are still pretty bad for what they're worth. I suggest increasing either 1) accuracy, 2) projectile speed or 3) rate of fire to make it a bit more interesting for 300 RP. Alternatively you could lower the price of course, but my preference would go to one of the first three suggestions.

Weapon balancing hasn't been a point in one of my posts since the faction-specific weapons patch that landed somewhere in 2013. I have a few points I'd like to raise, though it should be noted that some of my points might be very subjective. I'd love to hear what others think too.
Sniper rifles: The Green and Grey rifles are alright. They shine in accuracy and range but nothing else, as a sniper rifle should. But the Brown rifle (the famous Dragunov) is exceptionally flexible. This weapon is the main reason why I asked for a Brown and Grey campaign mode. As with the other rifles it's best used lying down, but the Dragunov has the added bonus of being semi-automatic AND re-focusing faster after a shot. This already makes it more lethal than its Green and Grey counterparts. It also reloads fast (faster than the others, I think?) and is not terrible at closer range either, as long as you make your shots count. It's a lot of fun playing with it but I fear it's just too good in comparison.
Assault rifles: The G36 and M16 are very similar, but I get the feeling the AK lags behind when it comes to accuracy. My least favorite assault rifle of the three.
Special weapons: The Famas' forced triple shot setting is also what put me off the M16 back when we didn't have faction-specific weapons yet. The first shot is nice and accurate but the other two shots only serve to make you wait longer between shots because you have to wait to the crosshairs to reset to something more manageable. I'd prefer a G36 or M16 over the Famas in any situation, so I'm not sure why the Famas has the price tag that it does.
Shotguns: Never liked them in RWR, probably never will. I've had plenty of fun with the (semi-)automatic Benelli and AA shotguns but the Pepperdust (though fun at times) and the three regular ones are just plain awful. The only use I see for them is for close range, and since not a single level is purely urban fighting it's never an option to play a whole match with a shotgun. Assault rifles are just far too flexible at any range to consider ever using a shotgun. I mean a sniper rifle at least has long range as a bonus but aside from that I'd pick an assault rifle any day.
I feel grenades are perfectly balanced right now, though I must say that I've died far too often from trying to throw an impact grenade from behind cover. It instantly collides with the cover or vehicle you're behind and explodes the moment you hit the button. I would prefer it if they weren't armed until the moment they leave your character's hand, rather than from the moment you draw it.
The Grenade Launcher is nicely balanced now. It's a great weapon in specific situations but its cost reflects this nicely. I did notice that the smoke trail now ends shortly before it hits the ground, not sure if this is intentional. I preferred the old graphics settings for the weapon.

I really like the new elite soldiers. They give me a good excuse to run after them with a medkit at rank 0, as they are bound to go down at some point and are worth reviving. And if not, well hey, free RP and a rare weapon!

Finally, in Moorland Trenches I feel it's too easy to disable a radio tower whenever it spawns at the Airport. It's 'guarded' but nine out of ten times there will be no soldiers on the roof with it. You can just use the stairs on the south east side of the complex, sneak to the Armory for some C4 and leisurely set and detonate it. I recommend either letting guarding AI stay closer to radio towers OR move this particular radio tower down to the ground floor as a (temporary?) fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:47 am 

Many of your points are good. But in terms of the burst fire weapons, they are definitely more powerful than the normal rifles at medium-far range. Because you can't have 100% accurate range, having a little burst of accurate bullets vs a string of "meh" bullets is going to help. This accuracy is compounded when you are crouched/prone. The one weapon I really haven't had a chance to use is the Sig. The single shot is kind of odd but like i said, I haven't really used it.

ComJak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 pm 

I completely forgot to mention that one in my post. The Sig is my favorite weapon in the game. I always buy it in the campaign when I have leftover RP. Combined with a vest it's like playing god. :D

Any other feedback for my post? Other things you disagree with, have suggestions for...?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 am 

Visionhunter, You said that AK is lagging behind M16 and G36 because of it's accuracy. While I do agree that it is less accurate than two other assauld rifles, it is also more deadly. So if AK needs any kind of buff, I would highly discourage buff to accuracy, but additional buff to chance to kill. Reason? If we will start balancing weapons in same categories in the end we will end up with boring set of same weapons that only have diffrent look. That would be great steap backward in mine opinion. AK is much better than M16 and G36 in all situations where You don't need to take care about accuracy - more specifically, when You are shooting at whole group of enemies. And personally - I like AK most of them three. It is true that on longer distance it will most of time loose to other ARs, but when range get closer, it start to gain great advantage.

On Your insign towards shootguns, I have to agree. Only shootgun which in mine personal feeling is OK weapon (I do not count rare weapons) is SPAS. Two others seems to be rather nice decoration than weapon on it's own. As You said - ARs are so well rounded that they elliminate need's of shootguns in most cases (yes - even SPAS).

As for sniper rifles - I don't really use them ofthen, but I can't say that I feel Dragunov to be OP. I seemed players that were using it against me, and each and every time they would do better using AR insted of Dragunov. Also I have feeling that Dragunow is not as deadly as other sniper rifles when it come to ellimination of specific targets - it is good to shoot at crowds, but not on sinle soldier. But as I said - didn't used it much, so mine expirience in this matter is not really that great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Gonna jump in the discussion without reading the original post, will do that later, but it is intended that weapons are not equal within a class, there are low end and high end weapons distributed among the factions.

Having it so, there can be some weapon progression taking place in a campaign: depending on your chosen faction, some weapons are weaker than what the enemies have, so you might want to unlock some of the enemy weapons for you to use through stock.

While it's not there now, some versions back there used to be a mechanism of unlocking enemy weapons by completing armory demand item delivery tasks, but it was temporarily removed mainly because of the shortcomings in the inventory UI. Those have been fixed for 0.97, and the demand item objective has been simplified to just bringing a specific amount of enemy weapons to any armory. While at it, unlock expiration time has been significantly increased, it no longer serves much of a purpose to have unlocks disappear after an hour.

With the feature in place, the weapon differences could be even bigger, at least for non PvP related gamemodes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:06 pm 

Pasik here is a suggestion for weapons and unlocking, instead of timing the weapons limit the number, example a briefcase will give 10 to 20 of a weapon, while a cargo truck could bring in upwards of 400 of a weapon.

Also along with this , when you bring back a cargo truck of briefcase, your allies will start spawning with the weapons unlocked at an increased rate, and for each ally spawned with the weapon the count on the armory will go down. This will incurage more use of the stash, as well as strategic rearmament by the players.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

warbrand2 wrote:
Pasik here is a suggestion for weapons and unlocking, instead of timing the weapons limit the number, example a briefcase will give 10 to 20 of a weapon, while a cargo truck could bring in upwards of 400 of a weapon.

Also along with this , when you bring back a cargo truck of briefcase, your allies will start spawning with the weapons unlocked at an increased rate, and for each ally spawned with the weapon the count on the armory will go down. This will incurage more use of the stash, as well as strategic rearmament by the players.

It's not possible in RWR, the armory only supports infinite amounts, and it has been discussed before that the support won't be extended for RWR 1.0, there's just too much effort to have it work bugfree in online. An option would be to create a fixed amount of weapons in your personal stash, but it kind of defeats the purpose as you can't respawn with the weapon that way, it needs to be in stock.

The unlock timer could be set to infinite now in 0.97 as the inventory UI is able to show all weapons, but it's ok to have the timer around 4 hours I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:15 pm 

Would it be possible to make the timer easily moddable, if it isn't so already? I like permanently unlocking things as the timer discourages patience.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

Visionhunter wrote:
Would it be possible to make the timer easily moddable, if it isn't so already? I like permanently unlocking things as the timer discourages patience.

While it's not a good idea for 0.96 (as the inventory UI will run out of space), it's pretty easy to mod it already by making a custom campaign.

Extending GameModeInvasion, override setup_unlock_manager method and have it use your own class which then extends UnlockManager. Override add-method there and provide your own logic/setting for the timer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:21 am 

pasik wrote:
Visionhunter wrote:

While it's not a good idea for 0.96 (as the inventory UI will run out of space), it's pretty easy to mod it already by making a custom campaign.

Extending GameModeInvasion, override setup_unlock_manager method and have it use your own class which then extends UnlockManager. Override add-method there and provide your own logic/setting for the timer.