It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:26 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 60 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 207

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hands down, best AI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:09 am 

Man you guys have nailed it on the AI, probably the best i've ever seen. i'm not sure if it's because of the simplicity of the game that allows it to function as such, but the Ai really are able to think cohesively, and make intelligent decisions, like suppress and flank manuevers, ambushes, support vehicles, etc. i'm not sure if this is just lucky timing or coding on your part, but they are definitely on par.

at any rate, if modulatioo doesn't work out as devs (which i hope you guys do, would love to see more titles, in addition to what RWR has to fully offer) but you could always contract yourselves out as AI programmers. just wanted to say, it's good to see programmers that can make something think intelligently on its own, and appear to be human, not just 360 degree spinning aimbot helicopter soldiers all over the place.

Keep up the good work!

(and i've asked for this before, and was kinda shut down, but i want to ask again)
can we get a first person camera option? i know it will look like garb cause it's voxel soldiers, and i'm pretty fine with it looking not-so-good. i just LOOOOOVE the immersion that a first person camera provides, and with how well this game runs with as many units as it has, with all the shooting, nades, death, etc. it would be some pretty crazy stuff to see it first-person. maybe a future update? a toggle on/off thing in the menu? or maybe just a modified file put up on the forums somewhere that has a disclaimer with something along the lines of "WARNING: is buggy, looks like poop"

Post subject: Re: Hands down, best AI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 am 

Hey Firebad,

thanks for the compliments about the AI and all credits go to pasik which made indeed a very nice job. From the start, RWR was focused on a capable AI which was since ever the main objective of the project but maybe pasik wants to drop a few lines about it.

About your FPS camera, this will for sure never happen, I'm afraid. There are too many things that would need to be adjusted and coded as well (elevated roof generation, billboard texture facing, some static vegetation which would look terrible from their "rear view", too low texture resolution, water distance rendering, simulated areas, the voxel soldier which would REALLY look terrible and would require another approach then, etc.). YOU don't care if the graphic looks ugly when "zoomed in" but if this option would officially exist, enough people would complain about how bad it looks and as I mentioned before, it would be too much work for only a couple of people interested in this anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:28 am 
Site Admin

About the camera, there's some camera rotation code left over from an experiment we had with a 3rd person camera, which will be possible to be enabled easily with a switch in a particular file, but we can't present it as a supported thing in-game for the reasons Jack already brought up.

I could envision someone modding a playable 1st/3rd person mode out of it by disabling certain visuals in the maps, changing camera rendering distance, hacking the character and weapon rendering to not show through obstacles, increasing voxel size, etc, so in a way, not quite all hope is lost for such a thing to exist.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:05 pm 

Somehow, I think is is your way of getting at Variant from the Steam forums. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:04 pm 

Emergence in action.

The group behavior of the AI is one of the main features that makes me love this game.

Last edited by Opt_0 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:37 pm 

Agree it really is good i have mentioned it in a few other post. I always say to myself what ever game can land good ai will eventually do very well. Im not even mad when they call in a mortar strike on me, because i know a little npc spotted me and called it in, its not just some bs that the ai randomly decided to land on me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:42 pm 

Ethabrowne wrote:
Agree it really is good i have mentioned it in a few other post. I always say to myself what ever game can land good ai will eventually do very well. Im not even mad when they call in a mortar strike on me, because i know a little npc spotted me and called it in, its not just some bs that the ai randomly decided to land on me.

Yea and they really get into your position if you try to set up shop. It nice that you actually need a couple other players to watch the flanks if you set up sandbags, mgs and mortars.

Also I have seen them start pushing with M79's if you hang out in a place too long and they can't get to you. Maybe it's just chance, but it sure does seem like they'll really try to prevent you from digging in.

My only wish is that Sandbags didn't get quite so heavily knocked around from a grenade or two. It makes them seem a little light weight. And combined with the AI's distaste for you to have fortified positions near their line it's a little too easy to loose all the cover you set up.

But anyway, yes the AI is awesome and really makes the game. It always comes down to the tactics and gunplay. You aren't chasing needless unlocks and badges. Even when you have opened up the weapons and support calls it still always comes down to your battles with and against the AI no matter what they/you use, it's great! And I love seeing my own higher ranked AI squad troops call in Paras and Mortar Strikes, makes them not just cannon fodder.