It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 3:11 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 52 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 61

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:49 am 

Didnt understand shit, but anyway, two first maps are most difficult. Aim right?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:56 am 

Opt_0 wrote:
Yeah the Higher player count is nice.
Yeah, was nice with such players a long time ago, since the days when the settings were different from the the current ones.

Opt_0 wrote:
Yet after a certain point it's a whole different game and you get stuff like the pic above.
Actually, the pic above illustrates the futility of the gaming in Invasion atm.
-------------------------------------------------

Well, I went through the entire thread and I'd want to quote some of our previous posts:

JackMayol wrote:
......... I didn't play "Power Junction" but this map might really need a rebalancing in terms of player compensation. We will lower it on SASinva from 8 to 4 and see how it's going.
Might require more tinkering than just changing this value but let's do that first.........
Agree, as he's right and it was done as regards to Power Junction map, but I would even add that almost all maps really need rebalancing in terms of player compensation.

pasik wrote:
If there are still unbeatable situations in online, I guess we could introduce some helpers that gradually lower enemy numbers to guarantee a victory for the player faction. E.g. after a map would have been on for an hour, the enemy would start to lose a certain amount of soldier capacity every 10 minutes or so. It does sound a bit like a last resort tho.
This also seems to be appropriate solution.
-------------------------------------------------

pasik wrote:
The profile sharing feature is being worked on.
This is something that I personally waiting with great impatience for.

pasik wrote:
.............. Don't know what are the latest settings there.
I think they are the same as Jack stated while ago here and far as I know they have not changed since then.

DIO wrote:
- to be removed(or = 0) the player_ai_compensation_factor upon reaching the certain number of players, i.e. as mentioned as the optimal number per server(~ 14 players imo)
I get your point, but it was ust a spelling error by my side 8-), I meant 1.0
As I suggested, it might be experimented with this one server(max players=64)
Actually, we already discussed this matter here

pasik wrote:
I suppose a compensation capping parameter could be added or a parameter like "maximum effective player count for compensation factor", easily doable. But isn't this still going to hit the other end of the issue again anyway if player count goes up substantially? Let's say a server would be holding 50 players and would otherwise be in the same situation that was there with 14 players: instead of 14(+some bots) vs 106 bots, you've got 50 players playing against 106 bots, that's again going to be way easy.
I was sure that there's a possibility to be added a script which could do the trick. ;)

pasik, your example is correct, but the opposite situation is also not very acceptable - 40 players x 4 = 160(max x 8 = 320) + 50(enemy's capacity before the compensation), then we'd have 40 players(with almost no friendly bots) vs 210-370 enemies, right?

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:41 am 
Site Admin

DIO wrote:
pasik wrote:
I suppose a compensation capping parameter could be added or a parameter like "maximum effective player count for compensation factor", easily doable. But isn't this still going to hit the other end of the issue again anyway if player count goes up substantially? Let's say a server would be holding 50 players and would otherwise be in the same situation that was there with 14 players: instead of 14(+some bots) vs 106 bots, you've got 50 players playing against 106 bots, that's again going to be way easy.
I was sure that there's a possibility to be added a script which could do the trick. ;)

pasik, your example is correct, but the opposite situation is also not very acceptable - 40 players x 4 = 160(max x 8 = 320) + 50(enemy's capacity before the compensation), then we'd have 40 players(with almost no friendly bots) vs 210-370 enemies, right?

Yes, exactly why I'm proposing the player cap around 20. The settings that are there play out great with 1-20 players.

Maybe the compensation could work somehow based on number of bases the enemy controls. That would be one way to avoid the huge crowd in the last base, e.g. 1 base left: compensation = 0, all bases - 1 left: compensation = 1. Anyway, the more we add these balancing figures the harder it becomes to balance it for all cases. Unless a very good simple idea that works for everything can be come up with, I think the best choice is to set the max player setting and spread people on several servers instead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:11 pm 

Could you try to implement some parameters which can regulate this very problem, at least just as a test?
I think I understand all the complications and I hope that as I share all my observations, I helping you somehow and my gaming in this server won't be as a pain in my ass though.
Will keep you posted. ;)

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:56 am 

For 20+ players, or even at all times for invasion, would it be possible to have spawn waves for the last remaining base? So every minute or so, the last base would get reinforcements but between these minute long gaps, there are no reinforcements for the base. This would mean that there would still need to be a push into the base and it's more likely that a cap will happen. The numbers can stay the same but the lack of instant reinforcements would move things along quickly. It's not a walk in the park but it's something. The time between waves would obviously need tweaking to get right.

Just an idear.

ComJak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:04 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGvN_nVq ... o6evMvNanA

que A Team theme

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:51 am 
Site Admin

ComJak wrote:
For 20+ players, or even at all times for invasion, would it be possible to have spawn waves for the last remaining base? So every minute or so, the last base would get reinforcements but between these minute long gaps, there are no reinforcements for the base. This would mean that there would still need to be a push into the base and it's more likely that a cap will happen. The numbers can stay the same but the lack of instant reinforcements would move things along quickly. It's not a walk in the park but it's something. The time between waves would obviously need tweaking to get right.

Just an idear.

ComJak

Quite possibly. The spawn lock could be activated for an enemy when they reach 1 capturable base, and then periodically alternate between spawn lock being on and off. The off part could even be getting bigger each iteration making it more likely for the players to succeed in the capture.

That would certainly help with the last base, but is it the only enemy capacity related problem when playing with 20+ players?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:13 pm 

Played last night with 30+ players, and some new guys that have been getting the hang of it. Went smoother. We actually had about 3 fronts running on the Trenches and it was pretty smooth and we took the map no problem. And we TOTALLY Steam-Rolled Vigil Island, which was fun but a bit of a bummer. As that map is actually intended to force players to hold a specific location, and after a bit our front moved way down the enemy side of the island. It was slaughter.

Even now at like 6-7am here on US West Coast my RWRW is going off like mad. I have rarely ever seen so many players on consistently or so early (for me). It is nice, but it is clear that like any Dynamic System it gets infinitely more complex when trying to balance it with more variable. I have to assume trying to set for anywhere from 5-64 players on at any one time is difficult.

Keep it up.
Although I am sure eventually as the community starts to Snowball we'll see more hosted/dedicated servers out there with a wider range of Settings. We're just going through growing-pains right now.

Attachments:
File comment: The effects of High player Count on Vigil Island and KOTH Maps.
Vigil Island High Players.jpg
Vigil Island High Players.jpg [ 90.7 KiB | Viewed 13169 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:50 pm 

about Vigil Island, we didn't yet manage to find a way to keep the difficulty steady over time.
For now, once you manage to settle down at the airfield for a while, with a bunch of people there is no way for the enemy to push back.
I got that on my list to work on balancing this map a bit more, somehow...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:35 am 

Street, since our beerdrinkers game got reset just as I was about to using my 2000 RP to call paras and cap all your bases, GG :P.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next