It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:36 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 51 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 87

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:48 am 
Site Admin

There's support for migrating from an existing server side profile to a client side profile that allows using it on several servers connected to same realm, so note that it's equally possible to not reset the profiles if wanted :) It would be a bit safer to clear the profiles, of course.

In-game names will have less meaning on servers using client side profiles as the username isn't used for much of anything but display; there is no authentication or passwords involved when joining such a server. The downside is that anyone can impersonate someone else by creating a new client side profile with a different username, but at least they basically start from scratch each time they do this. Several similarly named players can be playing on these servers at the same time, so that the impersonators can't obstruct the real player from playing anyway.

It's hard to say if this is a real concern or not. If it is, we could additionally show e.g. Steam names so that people could trust the names they see.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:41 pm 

pasik wrote:
It's hard to say if this is a real concern or not. If it is, we could additionally show e.g. Steam names so that people could trust the names they see.

^Would this be tact-on to the pop-up player info already on the HUD (when moused over) as an "additional name" or would it be the Only name? Because a lot of times more info/words floating around on the screen can be annoying.

Yet anyway,
Yes: I think this might be good. A lot of games seem to use Steam Tags ( When played through Steam) it's nice. Setting up additional profiles (like for Windows live games or worse: Ubisoft/Uplay) is a freaking Hassle! Plus the idea of a "Verified" identity would be nice. And already at least half, if not ALL, of the players on my "Friends List" that play RWR already use their Steam-Tags. Like I said before it'd be a shame to lose these.

I don't know about others but I don't want to lose my tag. I've be "Opt_0" for many many years, not Just in RWR but in almost all of my games.

(Also, I know it doesn't happen often now, I could see people using "Tag/Player Impersonating" as a form of griefing/trolling. It's dumb I know. But it never fails to amaze me the length to which people will go sometimes just to harass others or cause grief in a game. And I think the issue would be much like the "Player Kick/Block" issue of leaving the true players left feeling like they have no way to combat the grief.)

I think maybe Steam Names tied into your Profile would be good. (Also a second password verification box would be nice. Sometimes you can put it in and misspell without know it when you set up. Then next time you're not be able to log in. It happened to me once LONG ago)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:23 pm 

All in good time so if necessary - do it :) ..... anyway the nick which I wanted was with capital letters, but for some reasons(don't mention my inattention 8-)) currently it is not

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Opt_0 wrote:
pasik wrote:

^Would this be tact-on to the pop-up player info already on the HUD (when moused over) as an "additional name" or would it be the Only name? Because a lot of times more info/words floating around on the screen can be annoying.

I don't know yet, and I agree about the clutter very much. If there would be more space on the scoreboard/player list, maybe that would make an alternative spot for the info.

If the Steam name would be the only name shown, there would still need to be a fallback method for people not playing through Steam. If someone was looking for a way to impersonate, that would be the way then.

Quote:
(Also a second password verification box would be nice. Sometimes you can put it in and misspell without know it when you set up. Then next time you're not be able to log in. It happened to me once LONG ago)

That's a valid point. I do hope we'll see most servers starting to use the client side profiles, be them set up shared between some other servers or not. The servers that use client side profiles don't need the player to provide a password = there is no password field, also no second password verification field needed then :) You just enter a username and hit join.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:30 pm 

Long time lurker, I'm a regular on the SAS server so thought I'd better chuck in my 2 pence.

I would say personally go for it, I've had the game since .97 I believe and while I would miss my rank and RP, it wouldn't take too long to rank back up, especially as I'm still hooked on this game.

As for losing touch with certain players or not recognizing them without their high rank, that won't be the case at all! Whenever I see guys such as Street Veteran, Yuki or Andrew on the server I know to stick with them, mainly because I have their back as they have mine, doesn't matter what rank they are, 1.0 will be a fresh new start for all of us :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:01 pm 

My $0.02: Reset everything and change the default faction to Graycollars! Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:53 am 

DoomMetal wrote:

Agreed, the G36 beats the M16 any day ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:22 am 

Niftyeye wrote:
DoomMetal wrote:

Agreed, the G36 beats the M16 any day ;)

TWO POINTS:

1)
I guess if this is all to integrate Profile Migration, or whatever it's called (Assuming the effect is that we have 1"online" profile we bring with us to all games? Correct?), then it doesn't really matter since we're going to be starting 1 Main Online Profile. If it's a matter of the Score Ranking on the SAS Server, then I don't know. I want my name Blue: Opt_0 Or maybe special player markers for 5$ super early buyers, 10$ Desura+ Steam Key buyers, and if need be Steam Key Buyers BEFORE 15$ hike. ? (Nah to complicated.) I wantmy Blue name if I get something, lol. Either way, if I'm playing through Steam seems like my Tag would follow me as my In-game Tag.

2)
Playing the Other Factions: Why not just have the Faction Rotate at the end of every Complete Map Rotation?
So we, eventually, play ALL the Maps over the course of a day or two. At the end of that Complete Map Rotation, the server switches factions. Then the next day or two we're playing with a different set of weapons, vehicles and etc. It would also allow players to play with different weapons in a way by default, so maybe there'd be less requests for more. Plus the Faction Color rotation shouldn't be too fast as to be disorienting. I think if it was randomly switching factions by map it would be an off-putting option.

For all the time playing as Green happily, I wouldn't mind a change up like this with the Faction Switch at Invasion's Campaign End. Especially with the new Vehicles and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 am 

Quote:
2)
this is very good idea!
---------------------------------------

I reached 1Mxp yesterday so now im ready for profile reset.
---------------------------------------

BTW when this is about to happen? Many peoples were asking this yesterday.
Some comments from other players when I mentioned that profile reset is probably coming soon:
"noooooooo"
"kidings me?"
"are you serious?"
"how sure you are this will happen?"
"does it reset also stash?"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Opt_0 wrote:
Profile Migration, or whatever it's called (Assuming the effect is that we have 1"online" profile we bring with us to all games? Correct?)

Not exactly. Each player will have one profile in each server realm. By realm, I mean servers that have been setup to share profiles between each other, possibly requiring some trust between server admins. This also usually requires the servers to use settings that are somewhat similar to avoid people going to one server to pump up XP/RP/items and then play in a normal Invasion setting on another server.

And, well, if you want to, you can use several profiles in a realm too, that's possible as well. Just log in with a different name.

Quote:
2)
Playing the Other Factions: Why not just have the Faction Rotate at the end of every Complete Map Rotation?
So we, eventually, play ALL the Maps over the course of a day or two. At the end of that Complete Map Rotation, the server switches factions. Then the next day or two we're playing with a different set of weapons, vehicles and etc. It would also allow players to play with different weapons in a way by default, so maybe there'd be less requests for more. Plus the Faction Color rotation shouldn't be too fast as to be disorienting. I think if it was randomly switching factions by map it would be an off-putting option.

For all the time playing as Green happily, I wouldn't mind a change up like this with the Faction Switch at Invasion's Campaign End. Especially with the new Vehicles and stuff.

It might work, or not. The chosen faction is stored in the profile, so it might also have a technical issue that players end up scattered in different factions than the current chosen one in the Invasion because of how their profile still is attached to earlier factions. -> Actually no, it would work, as the chosen faction id always happens to be 0 in Invasion, it's the faction configs that change slots when requested.

Given the realms will be there soon, there would be several servers in the Main Invasion realm. It would be also possible to setup one server doing Grey invasion, other ones Green and Brown. Of course this would lead to minor trickstery as you could e.g. go on a Grey Invasion server, get grey specific items from armory having them in backpack, switch to Green Invasion, deliver the items to armory to unlock grey items.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next