It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 4:49 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 51 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 95

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:20 am 

Now that it appears we have a Comms Truck of our own, I hate to say this but I have to ask:
What does it do for us?

Block enemy signals? Or provide us the ability to make support calls? Or does it simply take the place of our own Radar Tower, now its just mobile? Seems like it'll bean interesting resource, as long as we know what to do with it. Looking for any helpful or accurate info.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:33 am 
Site Admin

Opt_0 wrote:
Now that it appears we have a Comms Truck of our own, I hate to say this but I have to ask:
What does it do for us?

Block enemy signals? Or provide us the ability to make support calls? Or does it simply take the place of our own Radar Tower, now its just mobile? Seems like it'll bean interesting resource, as long as we know what to do with it. Looking for any helpful or accurate info.

Hmm, haven't your faction always had it (except in like 3 first maps, if the server has been using progress based feature disablers like single player campaign -- come to think of it, the comms truck is probably only present in the 3 first maps of Invasion(?))

Basically it's a hunt & destroy target for the enemy, and yes, a mobile radio tower. It blocks enemy radio calls near it to counter for the enemy calling strikes on it from a far. Usually it stays in a base, and it flees to another base when the area where it is goes alert.

In Invasion you mostly shouldn't need to worry about it, but it can stall your advances a bit if the enemy manages to destroy it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:37 am 

uh not sure if I follow you. in most maps you either have a radar_tower or a comms truck and that since a while. As you don't play the game only since a few days you should know that but I might just not follow you :)
The comms truck is the same as a radar tower, just mobile and AI controlled (unless the driver is killed and a human manage to take it over).
In the next version it will be possible by modifying slightly the classic map rotator to spawn a radar tank instead of the radar truck as people where complaining that the AI drove into the enemy with the precious radar truck which made them lose it.
The radar tank will have a powerful dual cannon HMG for protection and be human only, so that it can be used at the frontlines or hidden somewhere to not having trouble to get it blown up. Tomorrow's PvP session will feature the radar tank!
Actually I still didnt answer your question... the radar truck jamms radio calls of the enemy in a ~175m radius around the vehicle and if it gets destroyed the targeted faction looses infortmations on the minimap until it respawns. On top of it, the commander will be disabled (no more orders which makes the faction just "defending").

PS: aww pasik was faster, but meh too much text to delete it :p

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:31 am 

I know it was around before. Maybe I just hadn't seen it I a while. Just today when I was one I was seeing A lot more than I had in a long time. And I guess maybe it's seeing it get stuck and stuff again. Maybe that what it was I just haven't seen it do that. Maybe I am jus slightly confused. Although I did forget what it accomplished, and I think I thought it was "added" to a few maps with the update or something as I saw it a lot more driving around.

When it's killed we lose sight of the spawn points and map information right?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:20 am 
Site Admin

Opt_0 wrote:
When it's killed we lose sight of the spawn points and map information right?

Yes, and the commander won't organize bots to move to attack and reinforce areas. Also capacity is reduced which also causes player respawn times to increase as capacity is being maxed out most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:30 pm 

pasik wrote:
Yes, and the commander won't organize bots to move to attack and reinforce areas. Also capacity is reduced which also causes player respawn times to increase as capacity is being maxed out most of the time.

If the commander won't organize bots, could this be the causes of the game destruction?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:51 pm 

What happens if you drive your Comm Truck within range of an enemy radar or radar jammer?

Can you still make calls for artillery strikes or vehicle drops?

Or do they both cancel each other out?

Wald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Walderschmidt wrote:
What happens if you drive your Comm Truck within range of an enemy radar or radar jammer?

Can you still make calls for artillery strikes or vehicle drops?

Or do they both cancel each other out?

Wald

They jam the radio for both factions, yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:35 pm 

pasik wrote:
They jam the radio for both factions, yeah.
I am pretty sure, I've seen many times an enemy paratroopers landing near to our comms, but not vice versa..... :?

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:02 pm 

I still find the comms truck rather unsatisfactory. The best tactic on Keepsake Bay and Old Fort Creek maps is to drive it to the edge of the map, as it is more useful safe and not destroyed than it is being used to counter enemy comms.

Plus, the AI drivers frequently drive it straight into the enemy.

I call the comms truck the "ice cream van" because it drives round the neighbourhood like an ice cream van selling ice creams.

Here's some actual game footage of the comms truck in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53SM8HvsMg

Also, I think putting a weapon on the armoured comms truck is rather counter-productive as people just use it as an attack vehicle.