It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:38 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 57 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 197

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:40 am 

Hey,

I realized that the player character will run slightly faster than the AI (or at least will reach destinations faster over long stretches). This can lead to a scattered group and generally death for me :P

Can this be corrected?

Jak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:34 pm 

I slightly have reason to believe it is the AI pathfinding system. Maybe when going up hills, they stop for just a slight of a second, and continue running? Even the slightest stop has and effect over many hills. Maybe you or Pasik, or anyone, can test this out by making an entirely flat map and try racing across the entire map with a squad, and do the same for an evenly hilly map.

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

The issue comes from the AI estimating a target position to go towards at some distance in front of the leader based on the leader's current position and direction of movement. Each squad member tries to go towards that position while keeping a certain separating distance from other soldiers in the squad. This can produce the effect that the members are not moving full throttle all the time causing them to become left behind the leader who is going at max speed.

It might help a little that the members would choose the target position more in front of themselves still basing it on the leader's motion, so that they would try to move on a slightly more straight line. However, I don't think this will completely eliminate the issue due to the separation factor.

The thing that you can do while leading a squad is to press left shift once in a while to walk so that the group will get closer to you. This is actually something I intend to add to the AI leader behavior also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:01 pm 

One thing that I've seen work is letting AI that are part of a player controlled squad move slightly faster than when they are not part of a squad. That way, they can catch up to the squad leader.