It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 9:04 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 50 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 134

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:47 pm 

Hey,

I have two issues with the 'change_map' command on a dedicated server running on Linux. They might be related or a result of me misinterpreting what the command actually does. My question is: Is it sufficient, in order to successfully change a map, to just issue a 'change_map' command, e.g. 'change_map vanilla/maps/map1', without having it followed by any other command sequence such as 'start_game'? It seems to work for most maps, or so I have been told, however I'm having trouble with the maps from vanilla.winter (map4 and map12) and map11.

While the server seems to change maps successfully for both winter maps, clients cannot connect anymore and instead crash with the following error:
Code:
OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Cannot find required template 'SnowFlakes' in ParticleSystemManager::createSystem at /build/buildd/ogre-1.7.2/OgreMain/src/OgreParticleSystemManager.cpp (line 327)

When I change to map11 on the dedicated server using 'change_map vanilla/maps/map11', the server crashes with the following error:
Code:
>   Map media/packages/vanilla/maps/map11 load requested
An exception has occurred!
OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource NormalAndDepth.material in resource group sessionResourceGroup or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /build/buildd/ogre-1.7.2/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 753)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Your usage with change_map is correct alright. By not calling start_game, you'll end up playing the default "background" game with some generic settings which may or may not fit your purposes, but should be fine to use anyway.

I tried it myself with a Linux laptop (Ubuntu 12.04 IIRC), and at least there running both the server and client on the same machine worked fine. I could connect to localhost with the game without the exception with the particle effect you seem to be having for some reason.

Also map11 got changed into just fine.

What strikes me really weird here is that the dedicated server build, avoiding unneeded graphics handling where possible, it shouldn't be doing any material parsing or come across with need to attempt loading a material, and I haven't seen it do that either.

Do you have rwr_server.log (from the server folder) I could take a look into? You can send it to me at support@modulaatio.com or just paste it in pastebin.com or similar.

Is your RWR server binaries from Steam or from viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2182 ? Maybe I've managed to mess up something at some point with the release. I was using server as got from Steam, and those official servers are as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:23 pm 

Ok, I did a fresh install and just copied over my current main configuration files. Works perfectly now.
The issue was that I had carried around my 'media' folder for a year or so now and while I always did update its contents on new releases I never bothered to remove the files that were no longer present in those newer versions of the game. It seems that the server went on to load some of these old ones on manual map changes (automatic rotation worked) resulting in the above errors.