It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:57 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 68 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 200

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:09 pm 

Hi, love the game so far but encountering massive FPS problems.

These problems persist independent of graphics settings, stuttering on every map I've played

Specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

I mostly play with friends, and when I do I host a server, not dedicated. I live in the UK while my friends live in Canada, not sure if that affects anything.

Please let me know if anything can help. This is a Gamebreaking issue for me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Is it same if you play in single player?

How many friends are playing with you when you play multiplayer? Do you tend to spread much across the map or do you work as a close team?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:50 pm 

pasik wrote:
Is it same if you play in single player?

How many friends are playing with you when you play multiplayer? Do you tend to spread much across the map or do you work as a close team?

I have not played much single player.

From 1-3 friends, a total of 2-4 people in the game.

We tend to stick together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

The GPU shouldn't be the bottleneck at least, I've got similar myself. I did upgrade my CPU a few months ago to an Intel i7 4790K and since then everything has been rock solid 60 fps.

I used to have a quad-core AMD Phenom, I don't know 2.2GHz or something, from 2008, and that ran RWR fairly well around 30fps together with AMD Radeon 68xx (xx=50?), and ofc better than that if shadows or post processing were turned off. Playing Invasion with 20 players used to get chokey occasionally because the number of bots and items just grew too numerous at times.

When you say "massive FPS issue" is that more like that the FPS is just low continuously when it begins to be, or is it more like that it has periodic stalls? If it's more like stalling, it could be happening when new visual resources are loaded from the hard drive when you encounter something you haven't yet seen in that map.. any chance it would be something like that?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:14 pm 

pasik wrote:

When you say "massive FPS issue" is that more like that the FPS is just low continuously when it begins to be, or is it more like that it has periodic stalls? If it's more like stalling, it could be happening when new visual resources are loaded from the hard drive when you encounter something you haven't yet seen in that map.. any chance it would be something like that?

It might be, I can't say for certain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Do you play from an SSD or from a regular hard drive? Playing from an SSD would certainly help eliminating resource load stalls, at least.

Maybe the HDD could use defragmentation? Hard to say if it can have that much difference in the end.

Anyway, RWR isn't the most CPU-friendly game out there even if the looks may let people think that. There's some serious number crunching to do in there and multiple cores aren't efficiently utilized. I'm personally surprised how little we hear about performance issues, which probably means that people are ok playing with 30 FPS or that people in general appear to have relatively new PCs.

Have you measured the actual FPS how much is it? E.g. software like FRAPS would be able to tell it by just letting it run. The game has an FPS counter somewhere in debugmode (run the game with debugmode command line parameter or add it with Steam Launch options) and hit F9.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:28 pm 

pasik wrote:
Do you play from an SSD or from a regular hard drive? Playing from an SSD would certainly help eliminating resource load stalls, at least.

Maybe the HDD could use defragmentation? Hard to say if it can have that much difference in the end.

Anyway, RWR isn't the most CPU-friendly game out there even if the looks may let people think that. There's some serious number crunching to do in there and multiple cores aren't efficiently utilized. I'm personally surprised how little we hear about performance issues, which probably means that people are ok playing with 30 FPS or that people in general appear to have relatively new PCs.

Have you measured the actual FPS how much is it? E.g. software like FRAPS would be able to tell it by just letting it run. The game has an FPS counter somewhere in debugmode (run the game with debugmode command line parameter or add it with Steam Launch options) and hit F9.

I defragment my computer weekly, so that isn't the issue. I am playing from a HDD though, I don't own a SSD. I haven't measured FPS- would a program like fraps give me a skewed reading because of the burden of the program itself? If not I will try it.

I am also surprised at the lack of information available though so far the forums are quite helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

StoneColdPineapple wrote:
I haven't measured FPS- would a program like fraps give me a skewed reading because of the burden of the program itself? If not I will try it.

As long as you don't start video recording with FRAPS, the FPS will be close enough to reality.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:48 am 

FRAPS has virtually zero impact on game performance when just running and showing fps. If You don't intend to record You might as well get one of the older versions too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:37 pm 

The game runs fine for the first 5 minutes, and then devolves into frequent stuttering seemingly without cause.

Drivers are updated, have done multiple re-installations. Have rebooted the computer. Played with every setting and have changed it from fullscreen to windowed. Nothing works...

Shouldn't I be able to destroy this game with An AMD Radeon 6850 and a Phenom II

I wouldn't mind playing with 30 FPS if it was a consistent FPS. This game is excellent but there is no consistency and I feel sort of cheated by how little info is available on how to fix it.