It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:50 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 48 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 112

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:42 pm 

However we still do not have the native Linux version Pasik promised us, currently it is possible to run RWR on Linux, using Wine (a tool for running Windows software on Linux).

You only have to install some DirectX DLLs before into your Wine, best way is to use winetricks script.

1. Download it from here: http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks (it can be also builtin in your system or available in repositories, especially if you use Ubuntu, so check first).

1a. If downloading from link above, make it executable by right clicking script file and adding executable priviledges or typing this command in script folder:
Code:
chmod +x winetricks

2. Run the script, choose: 'Select the default prefix', then 'Install Windows DLL library or component' then choose 'd3dx9', press 'OK' - or simply run the script like this:
Code:
./winetricks d3dx9

Now you can simply install the game by clicking installer or with this command in installer folder:
Code:
wine running_with_rifles_beta_0.65_install.exe

Note 1: Sometimes the game doesn't work if not run straightly from game folder - running it from there fixes the problem.
Note 2: better choose 32-bit colour depth in game config instead of 16 bit to avoid some graphic glitches.

Tutorial made with Debian 6 'Squeeze' 32-bit and Wine 1.4.

We look forward for native support!

Post subject: Re: Linux support
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:22 pm 

Huh. I'll fancy this being stickied. I'll also edit the title a bit. :P

This is VERY helpful! :D

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:30 pm 

This is actually rather helpful, I used to be very into Linux before I got into pc gaming and to this day wish many games were natively supported. I remember writing bash scripts to install and edit files! (So much fun! xD) Anyway's Great tut! Also this should work on Ubuntu, and any other Debian based distributions. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:09 pm 

Hi,
your project got my attention on holarse-linuxgaming.de and I think a native port would be great.
At first I tried the 0.67 demo with wine... works like a charm. So I purchased the actual beta 0.71, installed it via wine but ended up with a crash at startup.

Feel free to make suggestions on how to solve that problem.

I uploaded some files, so one can understand better what this post is about:

Screenshot of state while crash, (no menu popup, it crashes before):
http://solid.muffi.org/rwr/take1.png

My settings.xml file located in c:/users/Public/Application Data/Running with rifles:
http://solid.muffi.org/rwr/settings.xml

The rwr_game.log (I noticed that, after a few lines) no more content was logged in rwr_game.log, so I piped the console output in a file and loaded it up as well:
http://solid.muffi.org/rwr/rwr_game.log
http://solid.muffi.org/rwr/console_output.log

rwr created a rwr_crashdump.dmp file, but I dont know what to do with it:
http://solid.muffi.org/rwr/rwr_crashdump.dmp

My wine version is wine-1.5.10.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi p5k,

First of all, thanks for making the purchase even if you're actually having to run RWR on Wine :)

Native port for Linux is coming definitely, the engine part has been already ported to Linux, now it's just a question of getting Ogre3D and OpenGL renderer to do the same tricks as on Windows and DirectX. ..and force myself to install dual-boot on one of my PCs.

Couldn't spot anything particularly meaningful in the logs with a quick glance, but I'll check the crashdump tomorrow, let's hope it'll reveal something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Oh well, guess it doesn't come as much of a surprise that I can't debug this crashdump. The size seems off too, usually the dumps have been closer to 300kb.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:21 pm 

First of all,
thanks for your efforts.

With the new 0.72 it works like a charm in wine wine-1.5.10.

So, I wouldnt call that problem solved, but it doesn't exist anymore :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

p5k wrote:
First of all,
thanks for your efforts.

With the new 0.72 it works like a charm in wine wine-1.5.10.

So, I wouldnt call that problem solved, but it doesn't exist anymore :)

Wow, well, that surely is a surprise :)

Anyway, on the topic somewhat, I've now "officially" started to port RWR to Linux, getting the development environment up on Ubuntu as we speak. I briefly tried OpenGL renderer on Windows, works already on a playable level, just not all the shaders load up properly, shouldn't take too much to fix it though as the shaders are Cg anyway, most likely a configuration error than anything else. While I'm not concentrating on this 100%, I do have high hopes that I'll get the game running natively on Linux soon enough.