It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:27 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 49 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 89

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:43 am 

Hello everyone,
somebody might finds this imba, though let me explain it in few words.

Pistols should itself be WAY weaker than rifles, but useful when picking RIOT shields. RIOT shield covers entire front of wielder.
If the person wants to use pistol with it:
- Instead of 100% front cover, only 70% (approx) of wielders body is covered
- Wielder is firing slower (if the person is not holding RIOT shield, fires actually "faster")
- It takes some time 'till the person actually fires the first shot

Here's professional Photoshop render how it approximately can look:

Yay or nay? :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:23 am 

:D dat paint skill. To the point that is ive been thinking the same thing but rwr doesnt even have sidearms (mods can change things). Thought its possible to have riot shield+sidearm combination already on rwr, just mod it :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

I'm personally having a feeling the riot shield will continue to be as it is. The kind of (not so) hidden message is to promote teamwork so that one of you will become a cover for someone else who instead will do all the fighting.

It basically follows the same thinking that you as a tank driver can't use MG or tank cannon directly; you either need AI buddies or a coop player to do that part effectively.

It could be optional with a lower chance of deflecting bullets like suggested, but I'm not sure if there's really room for that option for vanilla. As far as I know, shield hasn't been exactly the most used secondary out there.

How about instead improving accuracy for (AI? / players too?) shooters using the shield carrier for protection? I find my personal discouragement from using the shield in single player is that while my bots get some protection with that, they still don't hit anything by shooting (exactly like the enemy doesn't), unless I crank up the accuracy and then suddenly I don't survive anymore. Having said that, it doesn't stop me from trying to use the shield in the first maps of campaign, but then again I'm a bit of experimental player.

And joneau is right, it should be anyhow possible to mod if it's absolutely needed in some other context.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:20 pm 

You are right, pasik. I was thinking too much about going solo towards hordes of enemies. Teamwork is something, what should be the key to success here. Improving something while being close to the RIOT shield carrier would be definitely good, cause even players would use it. I'm not saying they are not using it now, I'm saying they just don't use it much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:35 pm 

evoFLAMB wrote:
You are right, pasik. I was thinking too much about going solo towards hordes of enemies. Teamwork is something, what should be the key to success here. Improving something while being close to the RIOT shield carrier would be definitely good, cause even players would use it. I'm not saying they are not using it now, I'm saying they just don't use it much.

at least it shared the XP from all the soldiers that make kills near the shield carrier, so it's not too bad :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:27 pm 

evoFLAMB wrote:

Does the RIOT shield allow shooting above it?

I mean, when the carrier ducks and hits the shield on the ground, is it possible to stand behind him and shoot over?

Just played two days with AI and not have any situation to try that at all. As tactical shields are not tall ones at all but keeps wearer legs vulnerable to fire, until person hits it on ground. So I could think that you can shoot above shield wearer or be vulnerable to shots like behind wall if not ducking when enemy shoots?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:54 pm 

Fri13 wrote:
Does the RIOT shield allow shooting above it?
I mean, when the carrier ducks and hits the shield on the ground, is it possible to stand behind him and shoot over?

That's the main purpose of the riot shield :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:35 pm 

I think he's suggesting that you can actually use it like a wall, so you if you crouch behind the shield and you're close enough, you will automatically pop up and shoot, and go down when you stop. Maybe that's already in, but I rarely find a willing AI or player using a riot shield to test it on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

The Soldier wrote:
I think he's suggesting that you can actually use it like a wall, so you if you crouch behind the shield and you're close enough, you will automatically pop up and shoot, and go down when you stop. Maybe that's already in, but I rarely find a willing AI or player using a riot shield to test it on.

That's what JackMayol means too :) Try SAS Invasion or another populated server, you'll see 4-man shield rows.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 pm 

pasik wrote:
The Soldier wrote:

That's what JackMayol means too :) Try SAS Invasion or another populated server, you'll see 4-man shield rows.

wasnt it 8-man row?