It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:48 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 50 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 87

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:38 pm 

Show player names when hovering over player indicators at the edge of the screen

Something like a half-second delay (similar to how tooltips work in most GUI toolkits) would be ideal, so as to not interfere with aiming and looking around.

Smoother turning for vehicles

Most of the wheeled vehicles are extremely twitchy when on roads, because directional input steers as fast as it can in that direction.

I'd prefer a system where turning became less responsive as speed increased, so turning around in tight spaces worked as it does now, but holding left for half a second while driving a transport truck down a road didn't cause it to roll over and explode.

Special handling for players taking other players' vehicles and squad members

On various servers, I've seen high-ranking players commandeer vehicles from players who had just spent several minutes fetching them from the opposite side of the map. It tends to result in hostility and strikes me as highly unfair, since rank is more or less just an indication of how long a person has been playing on a particular server.

I'd like a server-side option to prevent players from booting other human players out of vehicles, regardless of rank.

Similarly, on larger MP servers there are often too few allied bots to go around, so until a player has spent tens of hours on the server, it's unusual to be able to keep a squad without having bots grabbed by high-ranking players who wander near.

It'd be handy if there were a timer of sorts (perhaps 10-20 seconds) before a bot would change from one player's squad to another's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Smoother turning for vehicles

Most of the wheeled vehicles are extremely twitchy when on roads, because directional input steers as fast as it can in that direction.

I'd prefer a system where turning became less responsive as speed increased, so turning around in tight spaces worked as it does now, but holding left for half a second while driving a transport truck down a road didn't cause it to roll over and explode.

Only tanks have zero smoothening applied on steering currently, all other vehicles use varying degrees of it.

Maybe I'm personally already used to the controls so I'm missing the issue. The steering is fairly fast, I give you that, and it is that way to allow sliding to happen.

Vehicle control in multiplayer can be a challenge, as vehicles are not and can't be client side predicted in RWR, so you experience full lag between pressing the key to turn, the signal going to server and coming back for you to actually see the vehicle starting to turn. The higher the lag, the worse it is. Also in online you tend to get some different results on the server and client of how the vehicle physics simulation advances until the next sync packet comes in for the client, causing a visible snap in vehicle orientation sometimes. That snap can be faked and hidden to an extent, that part will be done in some version.

I've never seen a truck roll over and explode just because of what the driver did, but if that happened, then that's awesome if you ask me :) The trucks tilt all around the place in hopes of rolling over happening to someone, but never seen it myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 pm 

pasik wrote:
Only tanks have zero smoothening applied on steering currently, all other vehicles use varying degrees of it.

Maybe I'm personally already used to the controls so I'm missing the issue. The steering is fairly fast, I give you that, and it is that way to allow sliding to happen.

Vehicle control in multiplayer can be a challenge, as vehicles are not and can't be client side predicted in RWR, so you experience full lag between pressing the key to turn, the signal going to server and coming back for you to actually see the vehicle starting to turn. The higher the lag, the worse it is. Also in online you tend to get some different results on the server and client of how the vehicle physics simulation advances until the next sync packet comes in for the client, causing a visible snap in vehicle orientation sometimes. That snap can be faked and hidden to an extent, that part will be done in some version.

I've never seen a truck roll over and explode just because of what the driver did, but if that happened, then that's awesome if you ask me :) The trucks tilt all around the place in hopes of rolling over happening to someone, but never seen it myself.

Well, I suppose it's worsened given that the most popular server is {SAS} Invasion, which I tend to have a ping of ~100 ms to. Vehicles flipping is a bit of an extreme example (that's happened to me maybe half a dozen times); what's more common is veering off the road when trying to turn via a series of brief taps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:42 pm 

One more thought on the GUI: It'd be nice if the player list showed XP (and perhaps sorted by it instead of the Kills - Deaths score).