It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 43 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 68

All times are UTC

Post subject: Trenches
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:37 pm 

I saw the game and being a sucker for top-down tactical games I got it immediately: I do not regret it one bit, but I do have a suggestion regarding trenches in the game... in normal wars, trenches are dug to make it more difficult for people to shoot at someone, because most of your body is hidden behind dirt and ground, but in RWR, the trenches are so tall that the people in them can't shoot out of them, completely defeating the concept of them. Or am I missing anything?

The solution would be to make the ground high enough for people to crouch behind them and shoot out of them at the coming enemy. The advantage it gives is the sole reason trench warfare was a thing in WW1, after all.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

Good luck, have fun! :D

Post subject: Re: Trenches
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

You're basically right, although some trenches were also built for transporting troops safely from one place to another requiring them to be dug deep enough. RWR uses this form more just to push some of the combat inside the trench while not being exposed to the higher ground at all.

There was a time, in 2011 perhaps when RWR was begun with Moorland Trenches being the first and only map, that it was intended that the trenches in RWR would've had specific elevated firing positions to make them more multifunctional. Looking at it now, apparently the focus shifted away from these details.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:11 pm 

Did it make them too difficult to take as dug-in positions? I would have liked to see that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:44 pm 

truthfully I love teh trenches as they are, I just wish that some of them had walkways over them, that was the trenches could be good safe movement but a player would have to be aware of walkways which are a danger as enemies can fire in from them.

I really think that one of the next maps should have a long trench war far looks with deep trenches being the only safe path from mortar and minigun fire. A heavily intrenched area is always easy to defend but really freaking hard to move out of.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:28 am 

I wouldn't mind a few small bridges over them, and a few elevated firing positions too.

On Mooreland Trenches I will admit, I almost always spend my time on the edges of the map and avoid the center until the end for obvious strategic reasons. But I know on Fridge Valley that center crossing point is always a bit disappointing because you can't put the trenches themselves to real use. In either direction they are more just a point you have to cross, often getting you shot if enemy are near. And trying to defend from them is impossible. I wouldn't mind seeing a new map with more functional trenches, or some details added to the current ones. Like a few side branches made narrower and more shallow to fire from but move safely while crouched. So far as actual trench-warfare goes, that's one thing we haven't really had the chance to implement or put to great use.

A nice long linear battle style map (Like Fridge Valley) with more trenches of functional proportions and many pre-existing artillery holes and pock marks throughout the field to crawl from. WWI style.

Last edited by Opt_0 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:11 pm 

I absolutely agree with you nikiosko i think they should change the height of the trenches.