It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:22 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 54 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 94

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Cannon Fodder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:56 pm 

Cannon Fodder plays pretty different from RWR. I think it's not reasonable to apply it's mechanics to RWR, because it would mean more indirect than direct control, and that simply doesn't work with RWR. But maybe you could handle squad control like in Cannon Fodder if you'd introduce a key that changes between squad control and single soldier control (so that you can give commands with the mouse). Actually it could be a good idea to make that a key that you have to hold down for giving commands (so that you can order your soldiers when you keep the key pressed), or maybe it could be controlled with the middle mouse button like in Operation Flashpoint.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:37 pm 

@Jason9mm
Sorry, man, but I really think you want to turn RwR into a different game altogether because what you seem to be arguing for is removing the sense that you must do everything in your power to keep your soldier alive. Treating each soldier as trivial is exactly the opposite of what this game is all about. I'm all for making my AI comrades more intelligent and useful and not at all for simply making them clay dummies for me to drop my soul into. I believe that most RwR players enjoy the tension created by knowing that this soldier can die quite easily and, therefore, he must tread carefully and use proper tactics in order to survive. In this way, the fear of dying is not only part of the fun, but the thrill of having survived a horrific engagement is also infinitely increased as a result of this mechanic. When I survive several big encounters in a row as we push into an objective and then I am able to find good cover from which to hold the position until more reinforcements arrive and then we take the objective, I feel glorious and it is THE major driving factor behind this game for me and for probably most others.
In the end, I think you'll have to face the fact that not every game being developed will perfectly fit what YOU want in a game and that's unavoidable because everyone wants something different. The best thing a developer can do is to make a game that, while certainly hearing and sometimes implementing the ideas of gamers, is, above all else, fun for them to play because that's something that makes any creation full of magic. Be it a book or a work of art or a video game, what makes it work is the passion on the development end so if the creator enjoys his/her creation, chances are, lots of other people will as well.
Nuff said.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:51 am 

As you can see, I haven't debated the issue in six weeks.

My intent with the suggestions was to make the game more fun. I don't feel like I tried to turn the game into something else any more than anyone else making suggestions. In fact, I think roughly half of the suggestions made would change the game a lot more than anything I've suggested.

It should also be noted that the primary issue driving my suggestions (the boring walks from respawn point) has basically been fixed. The spawn points are currently so plentiful that playing fast and loose is now a perfectly valid choice, as I think it should be. Some people may indeed enjoy crawling in a trench, and there's nothing wrong with that either. I'm glad RWR now enables both playstyles.

I also wholeheartedly agree pasik should absolutely make his own design decisions and enjoy the development, and I think he's doing just that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:03 pm 

Yeah, you're right, he shouldn't try to copy other games, and his decisions so far have been pretty good. The additional spawn points make the game play much faster and more exciting than in the first alphas I tried.

Jason9mm wrote:
As you can see, I haven't debated the issue in six weeks.

My intent with the suggestions was to make the game more fun. I don't feel like I tried to turn the game into something else any more than anyone else making suggestions. In fact, I think roughly half of the suggestions made would change the game a lot more than anything I've suggested.

It should also be noted that the primary issue driving my suggestions (the boring walks from respawn point) has basically been fixed. The spawn points are currently so plentiful that playing fast and loose is now a perfectly valid choice, as I think it should be. Some people may indeed enjoy crawling in a trench, and there's nothing wrong with that either. I'm glad RWR now enables both playstyles.

I also wholeheartedly agree pasik should absolutely make his own design decisions and enjoy the development, and I think he's doing just that.