It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 52 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 96

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Running with Swords
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:27 am 

JackMayol wrote:
RWR is NOT a stealth game but does it fairly well nonetheless, imo.

Yeah, it's not, esp since the singleplayer can't turn the tide of battle by stealth-killing enough against the endless spawn. But yes, I do think stealth mechanics is provided for. Not a main course, but pretty good effort to include it.

JackMayol wrote:
As for vanilla, if you mess up a stealth attempt by being detected, just get in cover for a while (a couple of seconds) and the AI will be "resetted" to non-alerted.

You mean the singleplayer has to do these?:

1. Run quickly away from where he/she was spotted,
  2. And also away from every cover near where spotted (because the AI will come searching)
  3. Find a cover (actual cover object that prompts the "get behind cover" mode)

JackMayol wrote:
In most situations you can pick up the AI one by one without being detected.

Believe me, I really tried this, recorded the playthrough and played it back real slow. Shooting at any AI while undetected will cause the AI to instantly know where I am (the 360-degree sight when alerted). I'm not sure how much play-testing was done on stealth. I certainly know that I had quite a ball of a time taking apart RWR in terms of stealth mechanics, even to the point where I have a pretty full documentation on AI behaviors and triggers (hence my MvW guide here).

JackMayol wrote:
If the base has a radar tower, it's of course another situation and should be much harder to have a successful stealth mission.

I didn't know that! So the radar tower gives 360-degree sight at all times?

JackMayol wrote:
PS: Funny to call RWR a MOBA btw, first time I've ever heard this :)

The soldiers spawn endlessly, and move along fixed paths. MOBA.

I must say RWR is still an incredible spectacle, giving the impression that the singleplayer is part of a massive battle. However, when deviating from the MOBA fixed paths, the singleplayer quickly finds that there is no way to make any adequate impact in a 1-vs-3 (100% vs 300% capacity spawn) scenario.

A 1-vs-1 scenario can easily be won by using the cover fire mechanic to help your allies move up to cover. Wait, that also means RWR does have impactful stealth options if 1-vs-1 is set as the norm. Well, then removing the capacity spawn sliders would prevent the game from falling short of expectation when players decide to play RWR as a true open-world 1-vs-10 game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:42 am 

Frogfoot_25 wrote:
Well, it has already been discussed that being shot and dying in RwR is quick, while it would be a much slower process in RwS, especially for characters wearing armor. Only the most powerful blows, like getting hit on the head with a battleaxe, getting shot with a crossbow when you're without armor, or being straight out beheaded with a zweihändler would mean instant death, most of what you'd receive would hurt you, but not incapacitate you straight away.

However, once this has been reworked, it could be cool to have a RwR styled medieval game. If it has early firearms and maps inspired by real castles (you can easily find good pics/plans, like this beauty in Italy), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I had been busy with Middle Earth: Shadow of War recently, and that does scratch the itch for medieval sword-fighting in massive mayhem battles. That game lets me fight alongside tens of allies (tens is enough for my field of vision, don't need hundreds). In fact, you and your post here was the very reason I went to try that game!

You can see my game guide here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1618326864

It's a nicely executed game (and the stealth actually works, in case Jack Mayo wants an easy case to copy and improve upon). Beautiful sceneries, castles, etc.

Still, it is no better than RWR. The large-scale battles still come down to a MOBA-style with endlessly spawning grunts. And the battles become a Pokemon collector game, where your non-grunts (captains) does most of the work while you're quite hands-off. (My game guide makes that less so, but still not enough.)

Have u tried Mount and Blade: Warband? If you have, I'm envious. I never got around to buying it.

Neither games come close to RWR's full map battle. RWR 2 will very very likely be compared to Shadow of War and M&B Warband. I'm very confident of RWR 2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:47 pm 

jonwong stop this discussion, it's not place for that, this topic is about something that you probably don't understand so go away, please. If you want to discuss about stealth and so on write your own topic... Oh wait, you already did.