It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:14 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 47 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 25

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 pm 

I only had a handful of games, so this is my 'knee-jerk' suggestions:
* improve visibility of player controlled soldier, sometimes hard to see when bunched up with a group
* have a waypoint indicator for next objective - not a big fan of opening the map every time since I really only use it to know where to go next
* improve visibility of dropped loot - very fiddly to point mouse caret at weapon to know if it's worth picking up
* weapon stats overlay? I really don't know what's worth picking up since i don't know how weapons compare. I do love the snipper gun though :P
* auto-reload? i often click like crazy until i realize i really need to press that R button
* improved feedback for accuracy? I don't quite read how accurate my shot will be... i think it has to do with the center dot lagging behind the cross, but...
* i often feel like my mouse is too "floaty" in respect to my soldier, and I wonder if it would help having some kind of very very light artifact (e.g. endpoints of a hypothetical line) between the player and the crosshair to make them feel a bit more connected?

All in all a great game, instant fun and refreshing when you've spent too many hours on Men of War ;) and I love the art direction, I really do.

I really think this game will shine in co-op, and I hope that you'll come up with great ideas to push co-op play.

ps: oh also great sound-design, it does a lot to the game. Keep investing there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestions! The first play suggestions are always very welcome, as the seasoned players and especially me having spent 16 months developing and playing the game tend to become incapable of seeing how first-time players would see things.

supamanu wrote:
* have a waypoint indicator for next objective - not a big fan of opening the map every time since I really only use it to know where to go next

This is a very good one, added it on my list, check.

supamanu wrote:
* improve visibility of dropped loot - very fiddly to point mouse caret at weapon to know if it's worth picking up

Hmm, this could be a little difficult. The camera is so far away that naturally the items look small and somewhat indistinguishable. Using bright marker visuals might fill up the screen quickly if there's like 20 bodies with their 20 weapons and 10 grenades. Ideas? Some point&click adventure games have a special key to reveal every interactive item on screen.

supamanu wrote:
* weapon stats overlay? I really don't know what's worth picking up since i don't know how weapons compare. I do love the snipper gun though :P

At this point, that's pretty much something people are expected to learn by trying, and I think people do learn it pretty quickly as there are not that many weapons in the game and most of the weapons behave very differently, so it's easy to associate what is what. This could be a real problem if a numerous amount of weapon models would be added as they wouldn't be able to be so varied, so that it would become a burden to remember what they all are. Maybe the overlay would be the solution. Perhaps it would work so that if you kept your crosshair over a weapon (or yourself for your current weapon) over a certain small time, some extra details would be revealed about it, accuracy/spread, effective range, mag size, class, etc, with some kind of rating.

supamanu wrote:
* auto-reload? i often click like crazy until i realize i really need to press that R button

I don't know about this. I'm so used to manually reload in any game that I might be overlooking this. I think there should be a poll about this if it should be added as an optional thing :)

supamanu wrote:
* improved feedback for accuracy? I don't quite read how accurate my shot will be... i think it has to do with the center dot lagging behind the cross, but...
* i often feel like my mouse is too "floaty" in respect to my soldier, and I wonder if it would help having some kind of very very light artifact (e.g. endpoints of a hypothetical line) between the player and the crosshair to make them feel a bit more connected?

Accuracy can be estimated from the spread of the crosshair. So if you stand up, you see the crosshair wings being somewhat separated, if you go crouch, you see them coming more together, and on prone keeping still, you see the max accuracy you can get out of your weapon. If you move, the crosshair gets bigger. When you shoot a single bullet, the crosshair gets bigger and diminishes back to normal state in time. If you keep your trigger down and just keep firing, you'll see that the crosshair stays bigger and your accuracy is poor.

The other thing about hitting enemies is the red/green dot in the crosshair and the floating aim visual helper. If the dot is red, you don't have a clear line of sight to your target directly at your crosshair. The small aim visual helper that bounces back and forth tells you where your bullets will likely end up at if you shot, and that's not where your crosshair is when the dot is red. If the dot is green, you have a clear line of sight to the position at the crosshair, the aim visual helper is very close by your crosshair, and so shooting at that point with 100% weapon & pose accuracy your bullet would hit your target.

So, as a quick advice, try to fire in bursts, always try to target directly at your enemy, not on the path to him or behind him, and whenever possible, be still while shooting.

A real visual line for the line of sight will be likely experimented with in the coming months. I'm personally afraid it might ruin the view looking like a debugging line or even making the aiming too easy, but it's worth a try at least. Also, if it doesn't fit as a default thing all weapons do, it could at least work as a laser sights feature for some specific ones.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:57 pm 

I think all of these things are ok the way they are now, especially the aiming. I love the fact that it's a good challenge and the way the line of sight lags behind your crosshair simulates the soldier adjusting aim/steadying himself which is cool. I do agree about the objective marker on screen though, this would be handy.