It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:52 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 46 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 35

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:28 pm 

I think where you are on the map should still be grid based, but you also see a smaller little circle inside the grid showing you. Also, you should get an estimate of amount of soldiers per area by a map discolouration, which updates every minute or so. For example, is lots of baddies are near town, the grid there would be a darker, deeper red, but with less, it would be a lighter, shallower red. The same would go for the green side. Of course, this could be toggled in competitive multiplayer. I would like if you could also see a dot for every soldier on your side, but I am not sure how feasible that is yet without causing a lot of lag.

My other suggestion is eventually going to be said anyways, and probably done, but it is for better AI pathfinding, Whenever I have a squad following me, it can feel a bit loose in a way, as if everyone is about to break away. This is probably because they don't tend to "follow" you as such, but just go where you go, so if you go in the trenches, they might stay outside on the edge, which can be annoying. I would like it if the AI was more intelligent in that aspect, and if they also liked to stick to certain land features, such as roads.

This all joins in with squad commands, such as stealth, tight formation, loose formation, and the such.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:18 pm 

Causeless wrote:
I think where you are on the map should still be grid based, but you also see a smaller little circle inside the grid showing you. Also, you should get an estimate of amount of soldiers per area by a map discolouration, which updates every minute or so. For example, is lots of baddies are near town, the grid there would be a darker, deeper red, but with less, it would be a lighter, shallower red. The same would go for the green side. Of course, this could be toggled in competitive multiplayer. I would like if you could also see a dot for every soldier on your side, but I am not sure how feasible that is yet without causing a lot of lag.

My other suggestion is eventually going to be said anyways, and probably done, but it is for better AI pathfinding, Whenever I have a squad following me, it can feel a bit loose in a way, as if everyone is about to break away. This is probably because they don't tend to "follow" you as such, but just go where you go, so if you go in the trenches, they might stay outside on the edge, which can be annoying. I would like it if the AI was more intelligent in that aspect, and if they also liked to stick to certain land features, such as roads.

This all joins in with squad commands, such as stealth, tight formation, loose formation, and the such.

Yeah.

The AI could work where if you're on a road, a trigger is switched in the AI programming that makes them stay on a track.

Or maybe there could be options like, "Surround me!" Which makes them circle you, "Line up!" Whine puts them in a horizontal line towards where you're facing, and so on.

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:30 pm 

Actually, I like the map as it is. It gives me a rough estimation of where I am and where we're attacking/defending, but I still have to keep my eyes open. I don't know where my allies are and I don't know where the enemy is, so I have to stay alert at all times. If the map was updated, it'd lose...something. Not quite sure what it is, but I like it.

Pathfinding and squad mechanics would be heavenly, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:24 pm 

Blink wrote:
Actually, I like the map as it is. It gives me a rough estimation of where I am and where we're attacking/defending, but I still have to keep my eyes open. I don't know where my allies are and I don't know where the enemy is, so I have to stay alert at all times. If the map was updated, it'd lose...something. Not quite sure what it is, but I like it.

Pathfinding and squad mechanics would be heavenly, though.

This, just a few more landmarks would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:26 pm 

If there's one change to the map I want made is an actual grid reference system. Basically either a 2 (56) or 4 digit grid (5060) or an alphanumeric grid (E6). This is mainly for multiplayer though, so you can say "Meet me at 52 38" and they know where to go more specifically than "northeast of the farm."

Otherwise the map serves its porpoise just fine :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:10 am 

OzyThesage wrote:
If there's one change to the map I want made is an actual grid reference system. Basically either a 2 (56) or 4 digit grid (5060) or an alphanumeric grid (E6). This is mainly for multiplayer though, so you can say "Meet me at 52 38" and they know where to go more specifically than "northeast of the farm."

Otherwise the map serves its porpoise just fine :P

Bam.

And like Waldo said, more unique landmarks. Ruined helicopter, rather than fourth tree on the left. ;)