It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:49 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 49 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 90

All times are UTC

Post subject: Modded Servers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:42 am 

Alrighty, so this is more of a question than an announcement for a new mod or something. I was wondering, since we have so many mods for this game available, how would one run a server with mods that other people can join without crashing issues? Would all players have to have the mod installed, or would the server be able to provide the mod content in I guess you would call it a stream? If I can get a reply, I'll probably try setting one up myself to see how it works.

Post subject: Re: Modded Servers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 am 

well maybe RWR developer team will work to that stuff and the content of the Vanilla is hardcoded for multiplayer i guess

LaG Always Fail
PROUD To be PINOY

Post subject: Re: Modded Servers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Clients and the server basically need to have the same modded resources for it to work.

There are two ways to include mods in the game, 1) overlay mods or 2) modifying and adding vanilla resources directly.

1) Overlay mod support for online hasn't been tested yet at all by us, but basically the clients are served with the info of the overlay mods enabled on the server, i.e. the path to the mod under media/overlays-folder. On top of these server forced mods, clients include the mods they've enabled for their game for the map in question; in this sense, clients need to pay attention that their local mods won't change anything else than visuals or sounds.

If a client tries to join a modded server and he doesn't have a mod available in his system which the server requires, the connection fails with a resource mismatch error. Server admins can set a comment to the server, which is shown in the server browser, to add where to find the mods. Note that the comment can't be too long, it's all work in progress.

Another barely supported thing is how to activate overlay mods on a dedicated server. Currently, I believe you can do it by editing settings.xml and adding lines such as:
Code:
    <enabled_overlays target="media/packages/vanilla/maps/map3">
        <path>media/overlays/ModernWarfare</path>
    </enabled_overlays>
    <enabled_overlays target="media/packages/vanilla/maps/map1">
        <path>media/overlays/die_sounds</path>
        <path>media/overlays/OMON</path>
    </enabled_overlays>

Note, that there's a bug that the overlays are not loaded when you first start the server. They activate only when you change the map.

2) Use modified vanilla content and let the clients find it, and don't activate any overlays in the server. Clients need to have multiple copies of the media folder to activate a certain one when playing on modded / non-modded servers.

----

Hosting a modded server in the game build rather than dedicated server shouldn't be much different. Biggest difference is that you can activate the overlay mods through change map menu.

To play non-vanilla maps, everyone needs to have the map package in question.