It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:15 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 45 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 110

All times are UTC

Post subject: Modding Tutorials
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:41 am 

Here is a collection of modding tutorials (in process of being updated) by other members and myself.

*NOTE: MY OWN PROGRESS ON MODDING TUTORIALS IS SLOW DUE TO LACK OF LARGE AMOUNTS OF FREE TIME*

Here's my (incomplete) series on modding running with rifles:

Video 1: Basic weapon stats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAEhHf66Sw

Video 2: Basic Voxel modding for characters and weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxWf1xZ7cw

Alternatively here is Comjak's wonderful video on how to use Sproxel to make RWR models. As mentioned in my voxel editing video, Comjak is much better with Voxel stuff than I am!
Comjak's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWtcf1ZVJ1U

Video 3: Faction and soldier dialogue modding
Unfinished

Video 4: Image editing (Will probably need help)
Unfinished

Video 5: Mapping (Probably will require 2 videos)
Unfinished

Video 6/7: Particle/Effects modding (will likely need help with this)
Unfinished

Video 8: Custom Vehicles (I will need help with this, Jackmayol, Master Blaster?)
Unfinished

Post subject: Re: Modding Tutorials
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm 

Ha, as a matter of fact I came here to talk to you about this subject specifically. I spoke to ComJak on /r/runningwithrifles and he recommended that I speak to you in regards to mapping.

I have a really huge mod that is nearing the "overhaul" completion. However, before I release it, I'd like to make a few themed maps to go with it.

I'm really struggling to grasp the concept of how on earth RWR puts these maps together.

I figured I'd reach out to the community for this, and you seem like the right person to ask.
(Sorry I can't PM you directly, I guess it blocks new joinees from composing messages)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:43 am 

Yeah, I was going to work on a tutorial ASAP. I Wanted to work on a map I had envisioned a tad first so I could relearn mapping, as I hadn't messed with mapping for 3-4 months. Unfortunately spring break ends today, and I've got a project in my Composition class that's due this week, so I'll be focusing more on that. In theory, I could have the mapping tutorial done by next week.

If you have any individual questions for me though, feel free to make a list and I'll try to answer them ASAP. If they're something I feel would a be common newbie mapping question, I'll actually see if I can't cover them in the tutorial when I get around to making it, as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:19 pm 

I guess my idea of a comprehensive tutorial would cover the following:

• How to create the following files:
    • map_config.xml
    • objects.svg
    • terrain.cfg
  • How to integrate sounds.
  • How to place vehicles.
  • The best way to create the alpha drawings.
  • How the Combine Alpha is generated.
  • Explanation of the following batch process files:
    • map_view_combine
    • map_view_isoline
    • map_view_prepare
    • map_view_water
    • map_view_woods
    • process
    • process_map_view
    • process_post

So the only thing I really get is the map_config.xml... :lol: which I guess is pretty obvious... I'm pretty clueless about making maps on this game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:55 am 

One can just copy-pasta the map_config.xml over from the other maps, and edit them as you see fit. Usually one doesn't need to mess with this file, unless you want to make the map only work for specific mods by referencing a specific faction. Most TC mods I've seen don't create new factions, and instead overwrite the existing ones, so that usually is unnecessary.

Object.svg's are vector image files. Like PNG or JPEG, except PNG and JPEG are Bitmaps. Vectoring basically allows you to zoom in indefinitely without the image getting pixelated. To create .svg files you need a vector imaging program, the free program that I use is Inkscape.

I actually haven't messed with the terrain.cfg files as they are not necessary, they overwrite the default values, and the default values actually seem to work pretty well, most of the time. You can copy-pasta them over from another map if you want to edit the contents, most of it is stuff about how the game reads various settings in the map, like the height map.

To integrate sounds, it depends on what you're doing. If you're making, say, a background noise. All you do is plop in the custom sounds you made into the map folder, and it should auto-load them. Check some of the other maps, one or two of them have "Custom" sounds specific for that map. If it's anything else, I'm not really sure.

To place vehicles, check one of the other maps, there are a couple blue or yellow rectangles with black lines on one of the sides, they should be under the objects or other layer, depending on the map. right click and go to properties to see the vehicle key (It'll probably be a jeep due to how common they are on maps). Copy this object from the map in question, and if you want to change the vehicle just rename the vehicle it references to the vehicle in the vehicle file (IE: apc.vehicle or tank.vehicle, etc.)

I actually am terrible at drawing the alphas myself. I need to ask Jackmayol about that more. If you ask him about it, please forward me what he says so Ican have it in the tutorial. :D The only alphas I'm really good at making are the road alphas, I just copy a piece of road from another map and make a lot of copies of it, then edit it and add vertexes and bends to it to suit my needs.

The combine alpha is generated when you use the .bat files.

To use the .bat files you'll need some files that are created when using the RWR inkscape extension. The extension is in the tools/\nkscape folder in the RWR directory. Place those two files in your \share\extensions folders in your inkscape directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\ for me). When you export the files from object.svg, take the output files and put them in the folder with the .batch files, you'll also need a couple files from image magick, a freebie program, (don't worry, I'll attach the .rar in question). Put all those output files, the image magick files I attached, and the .bat files together in the same folder. Run process.bat, then process_post.bat thenprocess_map_veiw.bat. All the files it created (All of which, except for map.png, should start with terrain5_alpha) will then be placed in the folder with the object.svg

The map file in total, to be ran by the game, needs the objects.svg, those terrain5_alpha .pngs, the map.png, and the map_config.xml - everything else is optional, but of course tweakable.

Thanks for the questions, these are really the sort of things that I can see other people having issues with as well, so I'll make sure to try and cover this stuff in detail when I make the tutorial.

Attachments:
File comment: Just toss this in a folder with the .bat files and the export from the RWR extension for Inkscape, as mentioned above, then use the .bat files.
imagemagick rwr stuff.rar [1.77 MiB]
Downloaded 2080 times

Last edited by bwc153 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Added Image magick license as .txt file in .rar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 am 

Huh... okay. I think I get it. I'll try messing with it.

Also, have you tried using the extensions in GIMP ever? I hate Inkscape, GIMP is the jam.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 am 

No, I haven't. Is GIMP a vector editor? Oh and I added the attachment, forgot to do that immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:10 am 

BTW feel free to hop on the IRC channel sometime, that's where a lot of us hang out. I idle there 24/7 unless my PC explodes, and usually the devs are there as well (they're sleeping right now, though)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:57 pm 

Any ideas for the default image sizes for weapon textures as I have seen they are very reduced ingame from the images in the directory. Or is there another way to set image size from a larger image?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:12 pm 

Go with something similar to the size of the vanilla weapons, for example the M16 is 86 x 237. When I was working on my STALKER mod (that was a few months back since I've touched the UI much) I remember having to resize the vanilla stalker icons (as a test I was just ripping the Icons directly from stalker to see how they looked in the game hud) in order to fit properly ingame, because the STALKER hud icons were too long and narrow.