It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:35 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 35

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bigger maps support
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Posting this up here in Mods forum, as it's mostly to show what is basically possible in RWR while vanilla chooses not to use it. Maybe it will, in some form.

I added several copies of objects of map1 in one big 3x3 km^2 map, and from the looks of it, it works.

Here's 3 map1's positioned diagonally. Excuse me about the rendering distance, that clipping at the far side.
Attachment:
screenshot40.png
screenshot40.png [ 833.72 KiB | Viewed 14020 times ]

Here's a better view including the one in the corner
Attachment:
screenshot39.png
screenshot39.png [ 921.61 KiB | Viewed 14020 times ]

3x3 km^2 map would basically have room for all the vanilla maps combined in one map, but some details would be lost as the (optimized) terrain layer count is limited; can't have grass, sand, dirt, road, asphalt, snow variations, desert, mountain all in one map, at least not this way.

I also tried with 5x map1 combined; funny to think that the map would've had 75 bases if all the base configs were duplicated too.

One issue with this big map comes from the surface effect and the fact that it's texture based. The currently used 2048x2048 resolution leads to huge footprints when the map dimensions are 3x normal. DirectX 9 allows max 4096x4096 texture size, so I'll probably make it possible to control it somewhere at some point; it would alleviate the issue but not quite get to the level vanilla maps have.

Another thing to note is that the internal world block amount stays the same (30x30 in whole map), which leads to bigger world block sizes, which leads to bigger active area than normally, which leads to more CPU usage by bots in the nearby zone. Depending on the game mode that would use bigger maps, it might not be an issue. I'll probably anyway add some parameters to be able to control that per map later.

Other issues come from using inkscape to work with big maps, especially if the work involves copy pasting existing map areas from vanilla maps. Most of the map elements are sorted in layers in vanilla maps, and selecting elements from several layers in inkscape and doing a copy paste results in all elements getting copied to one layer. This can cause problems if the elements were e.g. different stories for buildings intended to be on top of each other; they'll end up on the same layer level causing their contours to be generated by RWR, which can easily lead to unresolvable contours and crash the loader.

Here's the link to the experiment I had: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/big.zip
I didn't update the mapview so disregard the fact that it looks like the original.

Post subject: Re: Bigger maps support
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm 

Planes:P haha you can't argue that scale would be a problem anymore

ComJak

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:31 pm 

The potential for this is amazing.
I'd love to see a persistent map-world MP server(PVP!)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:48 am 

WOW awsome! :o
The real-time open world map!
Nice map :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:58 pm 

Yeah, if there is any chance some day for a few huge persistent maps, Planetside 2 style, I would be super up for it.

And yeah... I totally agree, this space seems ripe for Air Support of some kind, but hard I'm sure.
Heli's could be slow moving and still functional. A few door gunners for suppression more than kills, and carry 10 troops. Anyway...

A huge persistent battle could be cool.

On a side note/question:
Is there any mod, software, or any easy way to create maps for this game?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:44 am 

Wow, it reminds me of PLANETSIDE 2 now! :D
if you can make the maps so huge the battles will go on forever :)
i just imagine now all the planes and helicopters, and massive tank battles, it will all fit onto the big map :)