It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:15 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 45 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 24

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:14 am 

Hey guys!

So recently, while playing RwR with my mates, we were trying a new approach where we'd work together as a team. While doing so it occurred to me that despite the fact we were communicating on TeamSpeak, we were still having trouble relaying accurate information (such as where to advance, or where enemy soldiers were coming from, etc.). What we were missing was a way to highlight a point on the world map, so that every team/squad member could see.

With that in mind, I built a Marker Handler for our server (that being the Outbreak Gaming server, which, despite what it may say, is actually based in the Netherlands). It allows every player in the game to prompt a beacon over his cursor, broadcasting any message he would like (One beacon at a time, mind you). I've also added a hotkey file, with preset markers to spawn with ease. For the complete explanation on how-to-use, and hotkey file:

http://www.outbreakgaming.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/new-running-with-rifles-plugin-objective-markers.193/

The handler itself is server-side, so to all you server owners who are interested - you can see a zip of all the relevant files attached to this thread. This also contains a ReadMe file which will explain where to place each file in your server folder, but be aware this will overwrite all your gamemod files - so if you've been editing them then back them up first. Note that the markers are faction-coded, so in PvPvE opposing teams can't see each other's beacons.

This is still far from perfected: Markers have to be manually removed by the prompting player, and in future updates I hope to be able to color-code the beacons based on the prompting player (that is, if it doesn't become vanilla by then). For now though it's functional and pretty cool, especially for a small group of friends to play around with. This can also be easily limited to admins, or any predetermined group of players you desire (the same way basic_command_handler is limited to admins).

A huge thank you to Pasik for answering all my silly questions and providing the necessary information to build this mod! For any question you can PM me here, or contact me at http://www.outbreakgaming.co.uk/forum/index.php?members/arkin.14/

Until then, good day to everyone. See you on the battlefield.

Arkin,
Outbreak Gaming Staff.

Attachments:
MarkerHandler.rar [11.18 KiB]
Downloaded 699 times

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:24 pm 

This is pretty good stuff you made there, congrats. It indeed needs some more work but this might come handy :)

PS: how come your server is tagged as being in the US when it's in NED?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:54 pm 

JackMayol wrote:
This is pretty good stuff you made there, congrats. It indeed needs some more work but this might come handy :)

Thanks! I should hope it's handy, that's what it's intended for. I'll probably continue tweaking it as updates are released, so I'll attach any future updates to this thread. If you have any suggestions let me know.

JackMayol wrote:
PS: how come your server is tagged as being in the US when it's in NED?

Good question: I have absolutely no idea. I tried using the geoinfo.xml file as explained in the support section of these forums, but for some reason it won't change it. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

It appears geoinfo.xml is Linux only, on Windows the user GeoID is used.

I'll make the Windows build attempt using geoinfo.xml too if it exists.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 am 

Does this server-sided mod still work on the latest version of RWR?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:09 am 

Quote:
Does this server-sided mod still work on the latest version of RWR?

Not just yet - I will probably work on a fix this weekend and post the new file here.

EDIT - My weekends don't include Sunday, by the way.