It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 12:05 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 50 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 19

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 pm 

The Soldier wrote:
Thing is, when you make a mod, you have to agree to terms and agreements to do so (generally with more "official" modding, like Company of Heroes 2, for example, with the official modding tools and Steam Workshop integration) - you pretty much sell your soul to the developer when making it. Relic Entertainment, at least, reserves the right to take down any mod for any reason, without warning and indefinitely. You don't follow what they want? Bam, your mod is no more.

Of course - and in CoH this is particularily understandable as you *could* mod in their DLC components so that they become free. This was a problem with CoH1 and I understand why they have such security in place for CoH2.

Off-topic: I wish they'd release skinning tools for CoH2 but, because of the issue with Vehicle skins complicating matters, it's unlikely that'll happen any time soon (if at all.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:30 pm 

The fact that they can remove mods because it's unlocking DLC content is fine - but the fact that they can remove it for any reason whatsoever, even without reason, is the bit that scares me. "You don't want to put your mod up for sale? Fine, we'll just remove it. Complaining? Oh, remember you agreed to that contract?"

Oh, and apperantly according to Relic's roadmap (here it is: http://d2ye5rt6mv5rj0.cloudfront.net/20 ... oadmap.png), they're planning on expanding modding to include skins, decals, and asset packs. So have some hope. :P Hopefully I'll be able to reclaim TGW 1918 from CoH1 and help the guys over on CoH2 develop it.

...Tucked in there is also "UGC Curation", or User Generated Content Curation. Which effectively means monetizing (and sometimes integrating) mods to the main game. Great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 pm 

Ah, that must be new. Especially since it's clearly a "Tommy" for their 'new faction' ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Also I do think large mods for CoH could actually sell nicely (or as you said, integrated into the main game.) There were plenty in CoH1 which were large enough to have been 'sold' for say, a price-point of $3-5.00. I would not have considered that unreasonable, especially when tons of hours had gone into certain mods or skinpacks that had more than 10x the amount of quality than the regular game had.

Being forced to sell something; well, that is unreasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:35 pm 

In my view, modding is making or adding to a game with the intent to make people happy (or even build up a good reputation). If you want to make money, than just make you own game. Battle of Empires: 1914-1918 did this rather well - it started out as the WWI Mod for Men of War, then evolved into it's own game with the help of Best Way. The same happened with the Team Fortress games and the Red Orchestra: Rising Storm developers. You'll get a lot more money that way then selling a $3 mod of which you only get 25%.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:53 pm 

The Soldier wrote:
In my view, modding is making or adding to a game with the intent to make people happy. You'll get a lot more money that way then selling a $3 mod of which you only get 25%.

That's pretty much the way I see modding. Although personally the mod I make doesn't add anything to the game the most basic of modder can't add.

Just make some stuff, upload it and maybe someone will enjoy it. Unless you overhall the game, like the Floris modpack for Mount and Blade: Warband I don't see why anyone would pay for a Mod. Even the Floris modpack is free and that's extensive, really really extensive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:45 pm 

Well, your dreams are dashed, Tremozl. Valve and Bethesda are rolling back the changes to paid content - it is no more, or at least soon will be. Apparently, this petition (signed by 133 thousand people) had a rather large hand in that, as well as the hundreds of angry Steam users. :P

https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-t ... u/10645665

By the way, what makes you want your mod to become it's own paid content for RwR? My Overlord mod has a considerable amount of content as well as hundreds of hours of work put into it - yet I see no reason to put it up for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:53 pm 

Who doesn't dream of making money off of doing what they love?

In any case I won't be bitter about it. The community has spoken, and Valve has answered.

When I first read about the concept on Steam I had thought it would be a good way for 3D artists and the like to atleast make a little money for publishing great work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:08 am 

Apparently I don't dream of making money off of what I love. :P I do it because I love it, and there's nothing more that's needed to make me do it. Money would only soil the feeling.

I do 3D modelling as a hobby. I don't need to, nor want to, make money off of my models. I do that because I love doing them. I've made well over 100 3D models for CoH1, and about 50 more for the other various other games, including RwR, all of them fairly high quality (and increasing in quality as I got better). Ever take harr on the forums here - he made the Grey and the Brown tanks for the game, and hasn't asked for anything back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:51 am 

The Soldier wrote:
Apparently I don't dream of making money off of what I love. :P I do it because I love it, and there's nothing more that's needed to make me do it. Money would only soil the feeling.

I do 3D modelling as a hobby. I don't need to, nor want to, make money off of my models. I do that because I love doing them. I've made well over 100 3D models for CoH1, and about 50 more for the other various other games, including RwR, all of them fairly high quality (and increasing in quality as I got better). Ever take harr on the forums here - he made the Grey and the Brown tanks for the game, and hasn't asked for anything back.

Whatever my contributions to this game be (amateur models in this case, haha poor devs) it may as well have been a cash payment for a kool mod. I don't want my e-name to go down in this thread as some hero for the communist forces at work today. 8-)

~ * ~ * G R E Y * ~ * ~ * P R I D E * ~ * ~