It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:45 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 40 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 87

All times are UTC

Post subject: Creating Vehicle Models
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:23 am 

Hey all, I've recently tried my hand at making models for characters and weapons and such, and found I have a knack for it. However, after searching the forums I haven't been able to find much info regarding vehicle models. How do you go about creating those? I wanted to contribute to someone else's mod by making some vehicle models, but I haven't had much luck yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:22 pm 

angry_brown_voxel wrote:
Hey all, I've recently tried my hand at making models for characters and weapons and such, and found I have a knack for it. However, after searching the forums I haven't been able to find much info regarding vehicle models. How do you go about creating those? I wanted to contribute to someone else's mod by making some vehicle models, but I haven't had much luck yet.

It requires 3D modelling so it's not as easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:05 pm 

angry_brown_voxel wrote:

I use Blender myself and an OGRE exporter add-on so that you can export your model as *.mesh file.
Basically you can use any 3D modelling software which can export to *.mesh but Blender is for free so I used this. With youtube tutorials you can get quite easily into it, that's how I taught it myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:45 pm 

I was wondering the same as is there a simple tutorial out there on how to get your model into the game? Text or video tutorial, it doesn't matter to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:45 pm 

1) go to https://www.blender.org/ and download the latest version (as of today 2.77a proved as working - future version will probably work as well).
2) Install Blender.
3) go to https://code.google.com/archive/p/blend ... /downloads and download the latest add-on to export Blender models to *.mesh files which is a binary polygonal format that can be read by RWR (as of today blender2ogre 0.6.0 - future version will probably work as well).
4) Use Blender's interface, under user-preferences, click addons, click "install-addon", and select io_export_ogreDotScene.py
5) now you can select the model you imported/created and click file>export>Ogre 3D and it will export the required *.mesh file and a *.scene file, a *.material file and a *.mesh.xml (all not required for RWR.)
6) this is optional: you can install a tool called "OGRE meshy" which is a *.mesh file visualization tool (you can then directly double-click a *.mesh file and it will render it)

IMPORTANT: if 5) doesn't export a *.mesh file but only a *.mesh.xml file you will have to download a dependancy like in the note below (from the README.TXT in the Ogre exporter archive you downloaded in 3) ):

Code:
            In order to create binary Ogre meshes, you need OgreXMLConverter.
            Try to use the latest Ogre tools, at the moment that would be 1.7

Windows
                1. Download the latest Ogre Command-line tools from
                   http://www.ogre3d.org/download/tools
                2. Install to the default location.
                3. See "Setting Tool Paths" section if .mesh files
                   are not exported to configure the tools.

Let me know if the "IMPORTANT" part is required or not, I am not sure as it has been a long time ago

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:52 pm 

Well i've installed blender and just as a test I've been trying to edit the ARMORY mesh that is in the game.
I used the Export Ogre3d addon on the Armory.mesh and it gave me these files: armory.mesh.scene, armory.mesh, cube.mesh.xml, cube.mesh.xml.scene, material.material. I also tried to use Ogre Meshy to view the 3d render of the mesh but it won't open for some reason. (I've done the troubleshooting but still doesn't work).
So how do I edit the models?
I haven't figured out if the IMPORTANT is needed.
Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:16 pm 

You can't edit a *.mesh file, it'sa binary file type, which means it's a nothing that can be read by humans and not editable. You can compare it with an *.EXE file which can't be edited, you'd need the source code which would be in the case of Blender, the *.BLEND file.
If you would want to edit the armory, you'd need the editable *.BLEND file which no-one else has apart from myself.
You can create your own by yourself from scratch or find free *.BLEND files in the internet. You can also import 3DS, OBJ, etc files as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 pm 

Oh okay, thank you. The reason I wanted to edit the armory was to see how big I needed to make the model. So i guess now my question is does it matter how big my model is in the .blend or is it automatically resized by the game to fit? So the process you gave me I would do AFTER i'm done modeling my vehicle? Sorry for all the questions I'm just new to this.

EDIT:
So I have a test Cube.mesh.xml that I exported from blender. I downloaded the tools since it did not export just a Cube.mesh and so far none of the tools seem to be working to convert the Cube.mesh.xml to a Cube.mesh file.

I've downloaded these tools:
http://www.ogre3d.org/download/tools

EDIT 2:
AHAHA never mind I solved it. Had to set adminstrative settings on the tool. Here is what I did for future people reading this:

1) Use the CMD and set the directory to where you have the OgreCommandLine tools.
2) Put your exported *.mesh.xml file in the OgreCommandLineTool folder
3) Run this command in the CMD OgreXMLConverter.exe *.mesh.xml
-* the star is whatever your mesh.xml file's name is. For example mine was Cube.mesh.xml so I wrote: OgreXMLConverter.exe Cube.mesh.xml
4) look in the OgreCommandLineTool folder and you will see your mesh! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:22 am 

If you use "Ogre meshy" you can visualize *.MESH files and also see th size of the boundaries to have an idea.
The exported product needs to be the right size, RWR doesn't make any resizing change on *.MESH files.

As I mentioned already, it was a long time ago I set all that stuff up but I directly export to *.MESH, I don't need to process it through the OgreCommandLineTool manually. It was nothing fancy and I probably got that from the readme file. You might want to have a look.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:23 pm 

Well, thank you JackMayol for the help! It was appreciated. :)
Now I'm off to learn how to texture these models (oh boy!).
A note for anyone else reading this; OgreMeshy has to be run in compatibility mode (Windows XP) as that is what I had to do to make it work.