It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:20 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 48 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 70

All times are UTC

Post subject: Modding questions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 pm 

Hi, I was thinking about making a mod called "running with swords", but I had some questions

1. Is it possible to have a melee weapon as primary while reducing the killing power of knives, or remove them alltogether?
2. It seems making a bow and a crossbow would be easy, as the crossbow would be a slow but high powered weapon and the bow a quick, low power weapon. (not a question I know, just an observation.)
3. Is it possible to make a horse as vehicle with capacity for one?
4. Is it possible to replace the mortar with a catapult effect?
5. What would be a medieval equivalent to grenades? related to 4.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Modding questions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:39 pm 

They had clay grenades

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

firearrows wrote:
Hi, I was thinking about making a mod called "running with swords", but I had some questions

1. Is it possible to have a melee weapon as primary while reducing the killing power of knives, or remove them alltogether?
2. It seems making a bow and a crossbow would be easy, as the crossbow would be a slow but high powered weapon and the bow a quick, low power weapon. (not a question I know, just an observation.)
3. Is it possible to make a horse as vehicle with capacity for one?
4. Is it possible to replace the mortar with a catapult effect?
5. What would be a medieval equivalent to grenades? related to 4.

Thanks!

1. No, not at this point. AI would not be able to handle it, also the weapon system currently relies on having projectile-type weapons around. It is likely this will be generalized in the future, but it's hardly a priority right now.
3. No, currently the vehicles are just hardcoded. I'm about to expose their definitions soon which will allow vehicle modding to some extent, but I suppose a properly animated horse as a vehicle will be out of scope. Having said that, in my opinion, "RWR goes Mount & Blade" would be about the best thing ever :)
4. Mortars are hardcoded as well. I have ideas how to make them configurable and sit better in the item system in the game in general, but I don't have an idea when I'm able to work with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 pm 

Fuck yes,

RWR plus Mount and Blade with an rts engine like warlodsbattlecry and... yeah... maybe it should toast bread you put in!

But i have an idea for the catapult. make a trebuchet and let it throw cows like in stronghold! would be funny as hell!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:45 am 

For point # 1, what about (as a workaround) having a ranged weapon with max 0 ammo? (I haven't looked too closely at modding so may be way off the mark.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 am 

blazesboylan wrote:
For point # 1, what about (as a workaround) having a ranged weapon with max 0 ammo? (I haven't looked too closely at modding so may be way off the mark.)

What if it was, the gun has a remodel of a sword, and max ammo of 0, and the knife was that same sword? You wouldn't have long ranged, but it would still be 1 hit kill knives. :U

And grenades would still be there.

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Rendered wrote:
blazesboylan wrote:

What if it was, the gun has a remodel of a sword, and max ammo of 0, and the knife was that same sword? You wouldn't have long ranged, but it would still be 1 hit kill knives. :U

And grenades would still be there.

Those are actually very good ideas.

AI would still mostly try to fire from a range, so their behavior at a distance might be a bit dumb but once you'd get close they'd use stabbing at least. I'm hoping they wouldn't try reloading all the time because of having 0 ammo.

What's next then, a bow? :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 am 

Shortbow, longbow, crossbow, slingshot... And of course vehicles (horses for the jeeps, trebuchet for the APC, and maybe a "bring out your dead" wagon to replace the truck?!? :D ).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:21 am 

This sounds like it would be awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:56 pm 

Well one way of making a bow is having a gun with one bullet and a longer reload time. Once you made an animation for a soldier pulling a arrow out of a quiver then that will work. I don't know about how the arrows would fly thought since the bullets are not there and how to make it effect gravity.