It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:32 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 56 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 106

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

EDIT: None of this is needed these days. Just run launch_server script found in the server tar.gz package.

The following has been done on a Ubuntu 32-bit 12.04 (Precise) running on VMWare Player in Windows 7 64-bit. Ubuntu is certainly not a requirement, and feedback from attempts to set the server up in different systems are greatly appreciated.

The guide is known to work also for:
* Ubuntu 32-bit 11.04 (Natty), thanks StinkyTaco!

EDIT 18th December:
For 64-bit systems, you need to install 32-bit library dependencies, which might be more or less problematic. Rumors say it's easier with e.g. the more recent Ubuntus. I eventually managed to do it on my Ubuntu 64-bit 10.04 (Lucid), but I also know better ways to spend time. apt-get allows you to install 32-bit libraries by using "apt-get install <package_name>:i386".

* Let's check one thing first:

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~$ uname -m
i686

* i686 is fine, it means it's 32-bit

* Here we go then, getting pre-built binaries for Ogre3D using apt-get, libogremain1.7.2, which RWR uses, only found for Natty (11.04) and older
* Add ogre-team ppa in sources.list

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

* Add the two lines below e.g. at the end of the file

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ogre-team/ogre/ubuntu natty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ogre-team/ogre/ubuntu natty main

* Update the apt-get lists

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update

* Check that Ogre3D libs are now found

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-cache search libogre
libogre-1.7.4 - 3D Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (libraries)
libogre-1.7.4-dbg - 3D Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (debugging libs)
libogre-dev - 3D Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (development files)
libogre-perl - Perl binding for the OGRE C++ graphics library
libogremain1.7.2-dbg - Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (debug symbols [libs])
libogremain1.7.2 - Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (core libraries)
libogre1.7.2-dev - Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (development files)
libogremain1.7.3-dbg - Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (debug symbols [libs])
libogremain1.7.3 - Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (core libraries)
libogre1.7.3-dev - Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (development files)

* libogremain1.7.2 found, that's the one we want

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install libogremain1.7.2

* We also need libcurl (thanks again StinkyTaco for pointing this out, I probably had it installed earlier already)

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install curl

* Now create a folder for the RWR server to be located, I've decided to create it under my home folder here

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~$ mkdir rwr_server
pasik@ubuntu:~$ cd rwr_server

* Download the gzip'd RWR server executable, as stated in the latest release news thread

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~/rwr_server$ wget http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/rwr_server_0.71.1.gz

* Unpack it

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~/rwr_server$ gunzip rwr_server_0.71.1.gz

* Make it executable

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~/rwr_server$ chmod a+x rwr_server_0.71.1

* Deliver RWR 0.71 Windows release media folder, found at e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\running-with-rifles\media if you're a Desura user or by default C:\Program Files (x86)\Running with rifles\media if you're a Desura standalone / BMTMicro user, to your Linux box, to the folder we created for the RWR server, so that you have rwr_server executable file and media-folder there side by side

* Launch the server

Code:
pasik@ubuntu:~/rwr_server$ ./rwr_server_0.71.1
   RUNNING WITH RIFLES (c) Modulaatio Games 2012, beta 0.71.1, server build
   Game loaded
>

* If that is what you got, it works! (if it doesn't, you may need to try launching it a few times :roll: the build isn't in its best shape yet)

* Type help to see the list of commands

* Type help <insert_command_name_here> to get further help on specific command

When there's going to be an update for the server build, you just need to download, unpack and chmod the new executable and remove the old one. (I'll look into this one more carefully later, it seems dumb you really need to chmod the file, I'm probably just being a Linux-noob about how to distribute files properly :) )

When the GUI game gets updated, you need to update the server's media-folder with the content from the actual game.

For now, you can create geoinfo.xml file in your server folder to control what is sent to the central server list as your country info. This helps joiners to pick servers that are close to them in order to get to play with lower lag. You can use this as a template.

Have fun, and let me know if you feel there's something wrong in the steps above!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:42 pm 

Well, I hoped to provide the first RWR Linux server, but so far it didnt work! Our dedi runs a 64-bit 12.04 LTS Ubuntu and following the guide I only get a tasty:
"-bash: ./rwr_server_0.71.1: No such file or directory"
The file is there, permissions are set, the dependecies seem to be ok, so maybe somebody has a hint?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Variousartist wrote:
Well, I hoped to provide the first RWR Linux server, but so far it didnt work! Our dedi runs a 64-bit 12.04 LTS Ubuntu and following the guide I only get a tasty:
"-bash: ./rwr_server_0.71.1: No such file or directory"
The file is there, permissions are set, the dependecies seem to be ok, so maybe somebody has a hint?

I'm confused. I'd think you only get that error if the file's not there, but you just said it is. :shock:

EDIT: Ok, this explains it http://askubuntu.com/questions/133389/n ... ile-exists

Main point is this:
"In Ubuntu up to 11.04, to run a 32-bit binary on a 64-bit installation, you need to install the ia32-libs package . You may need to install additional libraries (you'll get an explicit error message if you do).

Since 11.10 (oneiric) introduced multiarch support, you can still install ia32-libs, but you can choose a finer-grained approach, it's enough to get libc6-i386** (plus any other necessary library)."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:40 am 

Hey Pasik, im running the latest dedicated server on Precise Linux w/ WMWare Player.

The problem is, i cant connect to the game. Im not sure if it is a port router problem or what. I just get "Online Terminated" every time I try to connect to my own server.

It runs, I activate it in linux, im just not sure how to fix it.

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

MattFromElkford wrote:
Hey Pasik, im running the latest dedicated server on Precise Linux w/ WMWare Player.

The problem is, i cant connect to the game. Im not sure if it is a port router problem or what. I just get "Online Terminated" every time I try to connect to my own server.

It runs, I activate it in linux, im just not sure how to fix it.

Thanks,

Matt

Works fine here, even with WMWare Player, at least in LAN. I'd expect the outside connections to work fine too, as long as the router would be configured accordingly.

Which address are you trying to connect to? My Ubuntu in WMWare seems to have an IP address like 192.168.47.129 by default in my local area network, and if I try to connect to such address with the Windows game client when the server is active, it works.

Connections coming outside my LAN would need to use the wide area network address which is used by my router, and I'd need to make the router forward a specific port to the LAN address of the Ubuntu in WMWare. The game server would then need to be made to use the same port as what I configured for the port forwarding in the router.