It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:32 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 50 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 60

All times are UTC

Post subject: Map making tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 am 

you may use this thread.

It's a thread about a former map making contest, but it's the most up to date and pretty straightforward.

Post subject: Re: Map making tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

JackMayol wrote:
you may use this thread.

It's a thread about a former map making contest, but it's the most up to date and pretty straightforward.

Note that the map template is no longer completely compatible with 0.71 (mesh collision definition has changed -- you'll probably walk through all the custom meshes). You should instead use any of the existing vanilla maps as a basis. insularComplex is fairly small, starting from there might be a good idea, and it's also based on the same tutorial. The map tutorial itself is still valid, as well as the RWR-specific Inkscape extension https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm2qszgu2m2om ... on_0.1.zip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 pm 

I have made maps for other games before, buuut never with Inkscape. Can someone explain how I import the extension and how I actually get everything set up?

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:55 am 

I've been trying as well, Matt. I've asked Jack a lot of questions, and have gotten some stuff working - but can't get a fully functionable map quite yet.

EDIT:
Just as a test I tried opening a few of the existing maps object.svg files and then exporting them using the extension, and it does roughly what it does for my map (which creates a few png files but nothing that is playable - even when taking the object.svg from the original map and putting it in the "new" map folder)

Am I just using this wrong, or is something broken?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:57 am 

you need to launch the process.bat after you got those png files exported from the inkscape "Running with Rifles" extension. Those are converted and made usuable for rwr.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:11 pm 

It doesn't give me a process.bat though, I've tried stealing them from other maps, but that doesn't work either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:36 am 

New question, how do i make buildings? There is no real tutorial on how to do this. I opened map2 objects.svg, and there are sample buildings, but i have no idea which are which or how to use them. Or where theres a library of buildings to choose from. I made the roads and heightmap, but from there on i have no idea.

Any help?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

MattFromElkford wrote:
New question, how do i make buildings? There is no real tutorial on how to do this. I opened map2 objects.svg, and there are sample buildings, but i have no idea which are which or how to use them. Or where theres a library of buildings to choose from. I made the roads and heightmap, but from there on i have no idea.

Any help?

You can open up object properties dialog for most of object types in inkscape, including buildings, and gain access to additional properties. Most of the buildings refer to building configs/templates that are defined in the material layer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

bwc153 wrote:
It doesn't give me a process.bat though, I've tried stealing them from other maps, but that doesn't work either.

You need imagemagick installed, or imagemagick convert.exe in your search path or in the folder where process.bat is located, for process.bat to work.

Currently the compatibility between the inkscape RWR exporters and process.bats are rather messy, I'm not up to date about the situation even myself.

The thing I know is that map4 is compatible with tools/inkscape/rwr.* inkscape extension and media/maps/map4/process.bat.

After you export the inkscape terrain splatting maps, you need to run process.bat to further process them, which will then output files suitable for RWR.

I'll try to get the maps up to similar structure for 0.76, so that mapX/process.bat is up to date and one inkscape extension is compatible with all maps.